View Single Post
  #9   IP: 68.33.43.122
Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
I have painted the engine (Rustoleum primer + top coat) in place with all major components (manifold/head) attached. I have also made it a habit that any time I need to remove a part from the engine (starter/alt/manifold/sideplate/dizzy/water pump/etc.) that I take it home and paint it while it is off the motor. An example, I did what Al mentioned one winter and converted the bolts to studs on the water jacket side plate, so removing the starter and dizzy and alternator made access much better, so those went home for paint in the warm(er) garage. By then, it was a no brainer to remove hoses and paint the block/head/manifold too, which I did in the spring. Using the smaller parts for practice helped a lot. It took an entire winter with a lot of downtime in between work days.

I've never removed my block/head from the boat. Old rags & bed sheets work fine for protecting overspray, and I would still have rags/drop cloths and tape around even for brushing POR-15.
I figure there is so much oil and gunk on the underside where I could not get paint, it is probably in pristine condition if I ever wipe the oil off!
I can't seem to use the [IMG] tag to link directly to them anymore, but there are several pics over the seasons that span several projects in my album..most of them involve painting engine pieces to some degree..the file names when you hover should give enough detail to see chronology.

http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...php?albumid=37

Sounds good. Painting parts if they are off the motor certainly makes sense.