X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

I see the cast street plumber's fitting at the back of the manifold. I recommend you do likewise at the thermostat intake and the fitting at the front of the manifold. Reversing the hoses on the manifold (The Thatch Modification) would complete the upgrade.

Comment

• Vermonstah
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
      I see the cast street plumber's fitting at the back of the manifold. I recommend you do likewise at the thermostat intake and the fitting at the front of the manifold. Reversing the hoses on the manifold (The Thatch Modification) would complete the upgrade.
      what is a "cast street plumber's fitting" and where can I find one? Does MMI carry this? if so, then I missed it in the catalog

i have seen this referenced in other threads, also by Hanley I believe, but i dont know what it is, other than preferable to a squared off fitting where debris can collect at the back of the manifold. i have already been burned by this and would like to take all preventive measures to avoid such a recurrence.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Vermonstah View Post
        i have seen this referenced in other threads, also by Hanley I believe, but i dont know what it is, other than preferable to a squared off fitting where debris can collect at the back of the manifold. i have already been burned by this and would like to take all preventive measures to avoid such a recurrence.
        I went with a straight barb on the manifold outlet. No more problems with KRAP plugging up a curved fitting. By the look of the pictures you might have room to do the same.
        FWIW.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Van_Isle
          • Sep 2012

I think the pics you refer to are of my engine.
          1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
          Cygnet
          North Saanich, BC

Comment

• Renegade
            • Apr 2015

engine temperature

Mine runs right around 160.

Comment

• Sloopdogg
              • May 2012

External Thermostat housing on exchange engine

Hi,

I ran my new Moyer exchange engine at 180 degrees by using the Indigo external Thermostat housing and 180 degree thermostat. I installed a fresh water cooling kit with the new engine as well and she ran nicely 180.

Here is a photo of the engine with it installed. I circled the housing

Danny Haughey
              Rehoboth, MA
              1973 Viking 33 - Sold
              Currently a boat shopper
              Buzzards Bay

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Sloopdogg View Post
                Hi,

I ran my new Moyer exchange engine at 180 degrees by using the Indigo external Thermostat housing and 180 degree thermostat. I installed a fresh water cooling kit with the new engine as well and she ran nicely 180.

Very nice installation and that alternator is an object of lust.

Comment

• Sloopdogg
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                  Very nice installation and that alternator is an object of lust.
                  Ya know, here's the funny thing. The PO installed that sweet charging system but, allowed the raw water pump to leak salt water all over the back of the engine, rendering it useless... There were a few things like that...

I actually sold that boat last fall and I'm "looking" for another, bigger hole in the water... LOL

Danny
                  Danny Haughey
                  Rehoboth, MA
                  1973 Viking 33 - Sold
                  Currently a boat shopper
                  Buzzards Bay

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                    For RWC engines, beyond about 160°F salt begins to leach out of solution clogging the cooling passages. I've seen manufactured RWC mixing elbows (exhaust) completely closed off with salt. The engine prefers a higher operating temperature like 180 - 190° but in the case of RWC the cooling medium can't tolerate it.
                    Since adding the Temp and Oil pressure warning system, I seem to be running cooler. At fast idle around 130 and at cruise just under 140. I used to run around 170. I'm guessing there is some resistance in the temp sender wire that I perhaps exacerbated while putting the Tee fitting in the block for the alarm and sender. I'll be checking that this weekend but it got me to thinking, is there any downside to running a bit cooler?
                    John Novotny
                    1973 Tartan 30 #186
                    Baltimore, MD

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                      • Nov 2008

To check the sending unit wiring for resistance: Disconnect the wire at the sending unit and the gauge. Run a jumper wire from one end of the wire with the other end near the other end of the sending unit wire. Measure the resistance. It S\B zero ohms.
                      To check the sending unit for grounding: One ohm meter probe on the body of the sending unit and one probe on battery ground. Use a jumper wire from battery ground to the vicinity of the sending unit if necessary.

TRUE GRIT
                      Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 04-04-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                        To check the sending unit wiring for resistance: Disconnect the wire at the sending unit and the gauge. Run a jumper wire from one end of the wire with the other end near the other end of the sending unit wire. Measure the resistance. It S\B zero ohms.
                        To check the sending unit for grounding: One ohm meter probe on the body of the sending unit and one probe on battery ground. Use s jumper wire from battery ground to the vicinity of the sending unit if necessary.

TRUE GRIT
                        Hmm, now I'm wondering if perhaps I used the dreaded conductivity killer teflon tape when screwing the Tee back into the block. I can't recall and can't find a picture of my work. Oh well, just another excuse to spend the day at the boat this weekend!

update, I did find a picture and see no evidence of teflon tape.
                        Thanks John
                        Last edited by Oldlaxer1; 04-04-2017, 12:58 PM. Reason: update
                        John Novotny
                        1973 Tartan 30 #186
                        Baltimore, MD

Comment

• edwardc
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Aug 2009

Teflon tape will not affect the conductivity of the fitting. When the fitting is tightened, it cuts the tape into little spiral strips where the thread faces touch. These strips are then packed down onto the thread valleys, sealing them off. But the thread faces of the fitting and the substrate are in hard metal-to-metal contact. You can see this when you undo a taped fitting and the tape has been reduced to strings.
                          @(^.^)@ Ed
                          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Sloopdogg View Post
                            Hi,

I am going to run mine on sea water this season, and if the motor and the boat will perform to my satisfaction then I think will be smart to go with water cooling kit

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
                              Since adding the Temp and Oil pressure warning system, I seem to be running cooler. At fast idle around 130 and at cruise just under 140. I used to run around 170. I'm guessing there is some resistance in the temp sender wire that I perhaps exacerbated while putting the Tee fitting in the block for the alarm and sender.
                              I think the difference is because of the Tee. The gauge sender is farther away from the flow than it used to be skewing the reading.
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California
                              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                                I think the difference is because of the Tee. The gauge sender is farther away from the flow than it used to be skewing the reading.
                                Interesting. So 140 is the new 170 for us old guys? (Just kidding, I'm only 160)
                                John Novotny
                                1973 Tartan 30 #186
                                Baltimore, MD

Comment

Working...
                                X