View Single Post
  #5   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 09-29-2015, 07:55 PM
Afourian MVP

Jim,
The 'no name' part is the output flange of the transmission. The part behind it is the shaft coupling, which has 3 bolts (direct drive) connecting it to the transmission.
To clean up the corrosion, I'd use an angle grinder with a wire wheel - one of the coarse ones where the wires are twisted into ropes. Gloves, long sleeve shirt, and safety glasses with side shields (or full face shield). You do NOT want that stuff in your eye - your PCP will send you right to an ophthalmic surgeon.
Depending on what's left after cleanup, you may be able to get the bolts started with a pair of vise grips. My next choice would be to cut a slot into what's left with a Dremel tool, and then use an impact screwdriver. Final option is left hand drills. I would advise against easy-outs - break off one of those suckers and you're in deep trouble.
But after you get the bolts out - then what? The coupling is probably corroded to the shaft, and it doesn't sound like you have much room to work. You can fight with it or just hit it with the checkbook - cut the shaft aft of the coupling, then replace the shaft and coupling. Don sells a split coupling that sounds perfect for your application.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Schober For This Useful Post:
Administrator (09-29-2015), TimBSmith (09-11-2020)