View Single Post
  #11   IP: 68.33.43.122
Old 01-28-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernst View Post
I lost my 'weather window' for this project. The boat is on the hard, the first snow (or ice pellets) is forecast, and I will likely not see temperatures over several days in the paint-compatible range until early spring.
Well, this is a mild winter! To my surprise, there were several days where painting was possible. So I went ahead with the project.

Steps:

1) Getting access: I removed the alternator, the ignition cables and the distributor. I bent the hoses away from the head. No further dismantling.

I used Saran wrap to protect starter, solenoid etc on one side and carburator (in particular the flame arrestor), fuel pump etc on the other side.

2) Degreasing/cleaning: I applied POR-15 Marine Clean (they changed the name to something else) diluted with water per instruction, using a 1" brush and a sprayer. This stuff is amazing! I focused on the head, manifold and neighboring areas, without making an effort to clean stuff 'deep under.' There is no rust there and I did not intend to paint anything there.

After application, I used another spray bottle and again a 1" brush to get off the cleaner. Took surprising little water, maybe a quart?

3) Metal Prep: Very similar procedure with "Metal Ready", the primer/rust converter from POR-15. Except that it is supposed to sit for about 1/2 hour before washing it off with water. I continued to apply small amounts of the stuff during this 1/2 hour, to avoid it to dry. Then wash it off and let it dry until a few days later when I had the next window from work.

Steps 1-3 took about 3 or 4 hours.

3) Paint: What it says. Paint with black POR-15, using again a 1" brush. The emphasis was on protecting the material, not cosmetics. I applied two coats, separated by about 5 hours. This is a bit longer than recommended (4 hours)but I had to leave in-between for a work assignment (it was mid-week). The temperature was pretty low, lower 50s, so I suppose the chemical curing reaction was a bit retarded. This took maybe a half hour per coat.

4) Cleanup and putting stuff together.

Attached photos show 'before' and 'after' Again, this is NOT a job where cosmetics was a priority, I want to protect the motor from rust.

The boat is still on the hard so of course I cannot run the motor. This will take a few more months. I will not be surprised if the paint will burn off at the hottest parts (the two ends of the manifold). If that happens, I will replace these parts with the POR-15 high-temperature paint which is ONLY suitable for very high temperatures (does not cure below).

Edit: I see I can only upload 5 photos. Will upload a few more in the next post
Attached Images

Last edited by ernst; 02-02-2020 at 06:29 PM.