X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MoodyBlue2
    • Dec 2016

Shortening Transmission Shift Lever

The shift lever on my Rebuilt A-4 appears to be a few inches taller than the one it replaced and it is hitting my exhaust elbow before it can travel into forward gear. Rather than reconfigure my exhaust pipe, I am considering shortening 2 inches off the top of the lever so it clears the pipe.

Is it OK to shorten the lever by a few inches? Will it cause vibrations or reduce the force applied by the shift linkage? Any other way to modify?

Appreciate any insights or experience.

Thanks
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Can't you swap the old one on?

Mine was sawn off by PO. It works.

If you do cut it, I'd be sure to test it with some temporary clamp thing first to see if the leverage is still enough or too little.

Russ

old photo shows a little how it is
    Attached Files
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

If you are cutting above the attachment point you use, no worries
      Not sure how it hits the exhaust, that is on the other side
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

The tranny shaft needs a certain amount of angular rotation to go into fwd/rev properly. The longer the shift arm is, the lower the forces will be but the higher the amount of cable travel needed. The standard shift cable will only give you 4" of travel (if I remember correctly).
        Someone must know the correct arm length to use the 4" of travel. Anyone? I admit I'm a bit embarrassed that I don't know..

Comment

• Nanook
          • Nov 2016

The length of the lever doesn't matter as long as the attachment point remains the same distance from the transmission shifting shaft. They normally have two holes drilled through the lever, if you were and are using the second hole up, remove it from the engine and cut it off just above the holes. Hacksaw works just fine. Smooth the sharp edges with a file and touch up the paint.

If it is easier and still available, just swap the lever over from the old one.

Comment

• MoodyBlue2
            • Dec 2016

Thanks for the responses. The engine, and original shaft have been returned, so too late to swap them. The shifter on my boat was always on the port side of the engine, which is also where my shift linkage is oriented.

From the responses, it seems OK to shave a little off the end of the shaft, as long as the attachment point for the linkage is not changed. Best to attach linkage and test that the linkage moves the shifter effectively before doing anything. If enough torque generated to go into reverse, just cut some from the shaft.

Any other feedback is welcome.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by MoodyBlue2 View Post
              . . . . it seems OK to shave a little off the end of the shaft, as long as the attachment point for the linkage is not changed.
              Exactly right. It's the attachment point that counts, everything beyond that is useless iron. Here's an old picture of mine, port side mount. If I wanted I could saw off everything above the hub with zero effect.
              Attached Files
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                Exactly right. It's the attachment point that counts...
                Here's another angle of what Neil is talking about
                Attached Files
                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                sigpic
                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• MoodyBlue2
                  • Dec 2016

From the pictures, I can see that alot of you have removed a significant amount of the shifter without ill effect. Seems like the way to go.

Thanks for the pictures and responses.

Comment

Working...
                  X