View Single Post
  #45   IP: 68.33.43.122
Old 10-10-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I'[[ chime in a little here. Here in Chicago we have short Lake Michigan season - about 5 months. On my early model A4 I upgraded from a little "Sherwood" pump to the Ober about 25 years ago. With the old style Dole tstat the beast runs a steady 140 F raw water. I pull the shaft out/impellar out every season for winter layup carefully using small needle nose pliers and lubricate it. I did slightly bevel the shaft end to minimize seal damage on extraction /install. every other outing I give the grease cup a half turn After examining the impeller I usually change every 2 -3 seasons no matter [snap ring is important] and change the moyer gasket almost every year. Cooling/pump has been problem free so far with this routine.
(red added by me) I was under the impression that the snap ring is not important and can be disposed of. Somewhere I read that it is only installed for transport and has no functional role during operation.

Was that wrong? If yes, what effect would it have if the snap ring is omitted? As you may have seen earlier in this thread, I lost it and did not care about it because of what I just wrote. I accidentally later found it and this time I threw it away for the same reason.

Please tell me I did not do something stupid...