• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Nice rant, BP.

As soon as the it became cheaper to ship a container of Chinese screwdrivers/planes/drills/insert-tool-of-choice-here over than to pay Americans to make them, we were all instantly doomed.
    Last edited by sastanley; 12-18-2014, 02:29 PM.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2010

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
      Nice rant, BP.

As soon as the it became cheaper to ship a container of Chinese screwdrivers/planes/drills/insert-tool-of-choice-here over than to pay Americans to make them, we were all instantly doomed.
      I'm not a big protectionist or nationalist - the American consumer shoulders some responsibility for choice.

That said, this was the date: "China's MFN status was made permanent on December 27, 2001" You can trace the drop in domestic manufacturing employment to this date. China was open before, but without permanent MFN status, capital investment was risky. With permanent MFN, companies poured money into Chinese manufacturing.

You can bet Walmart chicken is processed in China. You gets what you're willing to pay for.

**MFN is 'most favored nation' - a fully normalized trade relationship
      Last edited by BunnyPlanet169; 12-18-2014, 03:21 PM.
      Jeff

sigpic
      S/V Bunny Planet
      1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

An old Sears sander I have been doing the bottom with since I was 12 died a few years ago. It lasted a very long time, so I drove to Sears to get another one. That one did most of the rest of bottom and then died
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• Boat
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
          I still remember and can use TVMDC. But I don't ever do it since GPS came along.

True
          Variation
          Magnetic
          Deviation
          Compass

The mnemonic: True Virgins Make Dull Company.

TRUE GRIT
          Don't forget add whiskey! or add west

for the reverse,

Dead
          Men
          Cant
          vote
          twice

at elections, or add east
          '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

When I started this thread I never expected it would have the legs it did. Cool stuff.

As described by others, even close to home coastal cruising can be a challenge. I was a guest aboard a Hunter 31 headed out of Shoreline (Long Beach) to Isthmus Cove, Catalina. We left the dock under clear skies around 2:00 A.M. expecting to arrive at the cove about an hour after dawn. Under power we maybe got 200 yards outside Queens Gate, the harbor entrance through the breakwater, and were completely blanketed in pea soup fog.

We foolishly carried on hoping to punch out the other side for about a half hour. I finally voiced my opinion, "I can no longer support this strategy. We are outside one of the busiest shipping harbors in the world in zero visibility and no radar." The boat owners agreed so we reversed course to head back home. Now we needed to find a small opening in a rocky breakwater 2 ~ 3 miles distant and still in zero visibility. As stated, we had no radar and no GPS. We had a compass and knotmeter, that was about it.

Approaching the half hour mark on our return we noticed the ground swells indicating we were getting close and could hear the waves crashing on the breakwater over the noisy diesel engine but still zero visibility. We all agreed to change course to parallel the breakwater (the chart was our friend) and hope our vision would return at some point.

I went up to the bow to get away from the diesel noise and hear the crashing waves more clearly. The owners said I almost disappeared 30 feet away in the fog, they said I looked like ghostly apparition. I could hear the waves better up there and then I couldn't. And then I heard them again. Hmm, that was odd. I went back to the cockpit so the owners and I could hear each other over the diesel. We reversed course still paralleling the breakwater but the opposite direction. The same thing happened, the sound of crashing waves, then none, then waves again. This time we timed the null. We reversed course once again and listened to the waves. When the null started we continued for half the time we measured previously. At the halfway point we made a hard 90° turn and headed for the center of the null.

After a nerve wracking couple of minutes the fog cleared and we could see Queens Gate behind us. We'd made it through completely blind.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Nov 2008

Don't Know If It's True.........

I remember reading one of the ways the Polynesians navigated was to feel the swell pattern. As they approached an island the reflected wave train coming off the island would change the regular ocean swell pattern even before they could see the island. This was accomplished by sitting on the boat in their loin clothes with their bare testicles on the bench. Knowing my luck I'd get the bench with slivers on it. <OUCH>

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                I remember reading one of the ways the Polynesians navigated was to feel the swell pattern. As they approached an island the reflected wave train coming off the island would change the regular ocean swell pattern even before they could see the island. This was accomplished by sitting on the boat in their loin clothes with their bare testicles on the bench. Knowing my luck I'd get the bench with slivers on it. <OUCH>

TRUE GRIT
                Also an old theory has it that many warring peoples were driven to it by wearing underwear made from tree bark.

It's winter Neil, what else is doin'?
                sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

Hang in there Russ! In two more days, the days will start getting longer!
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                    Also an old theory has it that many warring peoples were driven to it by wearing underwear made from tree bark...
                    You guys are nuts!
                    I'm going sailing...
                    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                    sigpic
                    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Bingy
                      • Sep 2011

Wish I could

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Boat View Post
                        Don't forget add whiskey! or add west

for the reverse,

Dead
                        Men
                        Cant
                        vote
                        twice

at elections, or add east
                        "East is least and West is best!"

Comment

• Boat
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
                          "East is least and West is best!"

Ha Ha! Yes, that's it too.... this has been a great post. lots of things clearing out of the fog from taking the unlimited masters tests over 20 years ago
                          '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2008

Ever navigate in a sand sea?

Long Range Desert Group of WW2 navigated the 72,000 sq/km's of the Great Sand Sea in North Africa using sextant and compass - no electronic nav aids for them!

They were the guys who gave the British SAS their legs when the first parachuting attempts in the desert met with disaster - more than 1/3 of the SAS men were killed or captured in the first parachute attack in North Africa in 1941.

Without the LRDG and their skill at long range navigation the SAS under their founder Major David Stirling would never have had the success they had against the Germans and Axis armies in the desert of North Africa.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X