View Single Post
  #1   IP: 174.56.91.46
Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 AM

Overhaul'n Tumbleweed's Atomic

Greetings A-fourians. Here are some pics of my recent endeavor to overhaul, not only the A4, but the whole electrical system. As you can see there is a rat's nest of wires; an eye sore and a safety hazard. I am very eager to rectify the situation, making trips to Catalina less of a game of Russian Roulette. I pulled the engine with my uncle using primarily the main halyard and a come-along with a backup halyard and no boom support. We had the engine out in a little over an hour. We used wood shims to lift it of two the engine mounts. The other two were badly rusted so I used a hack saw to cut through the bolts. We lowered it onto a cradle (dimensions kindly supplied to me by Bill T (IlikeRust)) which sat snugly onto my creeper.We pushed her into the bed of my truck using wood planks as ramp support. I used two 300lb eye bolts, by screwing them into the support beam of my garage, as there was no beam on the interior. I used the come-along to lift the engine, drove the truck out from underneath, and then lowered onto a cart. I replaced the valve springs last year while the engine was in the boat, which proved to be like performing brain surgery while wearing hand cuffs. Bills says in his manual that he cannot in good conscious recommend performing valve work while the engine is in the boat, and this proved to be undeniably SAGE advice. Two cylinders were suffering compression loss and not as a result of a blown gasket. Last night I removed the head and water jacket and this is what I found:

https://picasaweb.google.com/ekortz/...eat=directlink
Attached Images