Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cooling System (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Winterization question - three plugs (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10921)

wrapper 10-26-2018 10:52 AM

Winterization question - three plugs

In the past, I have put in antifreeze after the engine has warmed up to make sure the thermostat is open.

I remove the three plugs (exhaust and water jacket)

This summer everybody was telling me I do not have to remove the three plugs as that will put air into the engine and that will cause corrosion inside.

Comments?

Thanks in advance

JOHN COOKSON 10-26-2018 11:25 AM

I've never winterized an engine.
It seems to me you need the thermostat to be open and the bypass clamped when the antifreeze is drawn into the engine to ensure all the antifreeze goes into the engine.
I thought antifreeze is a corrosion inhibitor.?

TRUE GRIT

Antibes 10-26-2018 12:12 PM

If you put in -100 degree antifreeze there is no need to remove the drain plugs.

joe_db 10-26-2018 12:17 PM

I never remove the drain plugs. I also run the exhaust and water intake into a bucket to let the antifreeze circulate around and around and get nice and hot. Same thing with vinegar sometimes to clean the block too :cool:

zellerj 10-26-2018 02:10 PM

Be aware than circulating the water output into a bucket may melt your muffler if you don't have water injected into the hot exhaust gases. I melted my fiberglass water lift muffler doing this.

joe_db 10-26-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zellerj (Post 114831)
Be aware than circulating the water output into a bucket may melt your muffler if you don't have water injected into the hot exhaust gases. I melted my fiberglass water lift muffler doing this.

True - you need to make sure the bucket doesn't get empty ;) Wait - did you mean recirculate just the WATER :eek: I run the entire exhaust into the bucket.

zellerj 10-26-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_db (Post 114833)
True - you need to make sure the bucket doesn't get empty ;) Wait - did you mean recirculate just the WATER :eek: I run the entire exhaust into the bucket.

Wow!! Never thought of doing that. Curious how you do this. Do you hang the bucket outside by the exhaust exit? And run a long hose from the bucket back to the water pump?

jbsoukup 10-30-2018 08:48 AM

I have been using this procedure to winterize my A-4 for 20 years with no problems. (raw water cooled)

remove T-stat
replace T-stat cover
pinch closed the hose that goes from the T-stat cover to the exhaust manifold (bypass hose)
stick the raw water intake hose in a gallon of -50 antifreeze
start the engine and let run until the whole gallon is gone
replace the T-stat, un pinch the bypass hose and run another gallon through
close the fuel valve, drain the carb and thats it.

joe_db 10-30-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zellerj (Post 114835)
Wow!! Never thought of doing that. Curious how you do this. Do you hang the bucket outside by the exhaust exit? And run a long hose from the bucket back to the water pump?

I reach over the stern and clamp a hose on the exhaust outlet and run it into a bucket. I extend the raw water intake hose into the same bucket. Anti-freeze goes round and round and round :D