Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Interest (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   A little choke needed to start and run? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11168)

infy 07-10-2019 02:02 PM

A little choke needed to start and run?

I need about 20% choke to start and run the engine. Even after completely warmed up. If the engine is hot (~180*) and I kill the choke the engine will stall. At nearly any throttle. So some choke is always necessary.

Thoughts?

joe_db 07-10-2019 03:00 PM

Your carb is clogged or otherwise running very lean.

infy 07-10-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_db (Post 117569)
Your carb is clogged or otherwise running very lean.

Thanks. I thought that it could be an idle adjustment. Doesn't sound like it, eh?

joe_db 07-10-2019 03:52 PM

Not if it happens at full throttle too.

JOHN COOKSON 07-10-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infy (Post 117570)
Thanks. I thought that it could be an idle adjustment. Doesn't sound like it, eh?

Why not adjust the idle and find out? Gently seat the idle adjustment then back it out 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns. See what happens.
As noted the idle adjustment will not affect high speed operation.
Concur that the problem sounds like an air leak somewhere.

TRUE GRIT

sastanley 07-10-2019 10:56 PM

I would pull the carb drain/main jet access plug and drain it into a clear container and see if you get some gunk come out with it. If you have a mechanical fuel pump, give it a few strokes to flush a few ounces of fuel into the container and see what you got..hopefully clean fuel with no hitchhikers.

You should need 100% choke to start a cold motor, but after a few minutes, zero choke for normal operation.

What fuel are you running? Corn laced (ethanol) or E-zero? How much fuel do you burn thru in a season?:confused: I do not like ethanol fuels sitting in these old carbs for extended periods..I have found them to leave yellow honey/gel like gunk in the innards if they sit. If you use your boat regularly, not as much of an issue.

infy 07-11-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sastanley (Post 117582)
You should need 100% choke to start a cold motor, but after a few minutes, zero choke for normal operation.

Funny you mention that.. It takes a bit of cranking to start it. I've never got it to start with 100% choke. Or 0% choke... 20%-40% seems to be the sweet spot. WOn't start with throttle up.. seems to like throttle all the way down. So you can crank it at 100% throttle and get nothing... turn throttle all the way down and it starts coming to life.

Kill the choke and engine stalls. :confused:

Does sound carb related.

Quote:

What fuel are you running?

90 octane ethanol.

Quote:

How much fuel do you burn thru in a season?:confused:

Haven't done a season yet. Just drained the gas tank and put new fuel in from the automotive gas station.

So I've checked the lines, put on a new fuel filter, and the fuel pump seems to be fine.