• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seapadrik
    • Jun 2009

Xintex monoxide detector mounting

Hey everyone,

So am addressing some safety concerns. Now that I have engine running reasonably well I want to install a monoxide detector. To my knowledge there was never one there before but PO did have an old Xintex gas fume detector.

Where do you usually mount these ? It said to not put it near stove, but i figue i want it reasonably close to the engine.

Also this model is 12 dc wiring. Do you direct mount it to the battery like a bilge pump ?

I am mostly concerned with these fumes when I am at the boat. I do not live/sleep aboard so am wondering if maybe i should just hook it to DC panel and have it "on" when I am running the engine and the few times I sleep on boat in summer.

Thoughts ?

Thanks
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

Where you breathe and sleep

The ABYC A-24 standard suggests in the living and sleeping spaces, which is intuitive. If they are far enough apart, or isolated by ventilation, you may want more than one. A risk may be not your engine, but the one idling in a nearby slip!

I would put it on a panel circuit and leave it on when you're on the boat. Always.
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

My CO detector is at my chart table. You do NOT want it next to the engine. You want it closer to the people on the boat. My wife and son frequently are sound asleep underway and I do not like people sleeping below under power without a CO alarm. I may add one in the V-berth to cover both ends of the boat.

Originally posted by BunnyPlanet169 View Post
      The ABYC A-24 standard suggests in the living and sleeping spaces, which is intuitive. If they are far enough apart, or isolated by ventilation, you may want more than one. A risk may be not your engine, but the one idling in a nearby slip!

I would put it on a panel circuit and leave it on when you're on the boat. Always.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• seapadrik
        • Jun 2009

Thanks guys for the responses. I guess chart table area sounds about as good as any, and maybe another in vberth later on.

PS - my thought behind placing it "close" to the engine was that I am often working on that engine ( sometimes when its running ) and I would like to know if I am getting a bad dose of CO when fiddling with it.

Can I ask your reasoning for having it away from engine compartment ?

Thanks

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
          • May 2010

Choices

The CO detector should be where people are and ventilation is restricted (E.G. most anywhere below deck).

Generally, your engine compartment is going to be closed. And if you smell exhaust when working, you already have a big problem you should be working on. But a properly functioning exhaust should not emit CO inside the boat.

Very often CO comes back onboard by reverse ventilation, not from the engine compartment, but from the tailpipe! A following wind while motoring is a good example.... Idling at the dock.... Someone else idling at the dock nearby....

If the CO detector is inside the engine compartment, it will react too slowly, or not at all (!) to an increase within the cabin.

The USCG has some good PDF information about CO online....
          Jeff

sigpic
          S/V Bunny Planet
          1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

Not sure why you want a 12V unit wired into the panel. I prefer a 'home' unit with it's own internal battery. They last a long time!

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
              • May 2010

The unit originally posted was UL 2034 Listed for Marine use
              Jeff

sigpic
              S/V Bunny Planet
              1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

Working...
              X