Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Interest (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Sold My Boat (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11356)

JOHN COOKSON 12-16-2019 04:37 PM

Sold My Boat

At the moment I don't have plans buy a new one. I plan on staying active in the forum at least for awhile. I enjoy the Afourian camaraderie.

My Catalina 27 was built in 1980. I purchased the boat from the first owner in early 1983. Before the purchase I asked the owner if I could look at the dipstick. The bozo didn't know where the dipstick was! I think it is safe to say that I have been the only person that has touched the engine since the boat left the factory. Nobody but me has ever worked on the engine. I never paid to have the engine worked on. I trust myself more than anybody.

The A4 has been sweet little engine. I attribute this to two things: Using MMO in the oil and gas and starting the engine every two weeks and run it at operating temp for ~15 minutes. I live in southern California which makes this possible.

Brief Engine history:
3 New coils - The first rusted out
Repack ~ 15 year ago
New electronic fuel pump
2 New exhaust hot sections
Regular oil changes and Tune ups. Still have points.
New MMI water pump. The Oberdorfer would not quit leaking. RWC engine.
Acid flush every 4 - 5 years.
Unblocked the manifold water passage 3 or 4 times.
Carb rebuild 6 or 7 times. Finally got a decent fuel filter system.
Fuel pressure gauge
Valve on the bypass.
Rewired. One solid wire from A -> B. I got tired of chasing wiring problems.
IMO not to bad for 36 years.

I am encouraging the new owner to become a forum member.

Fair winds and smooth seas all.

ex TRUE GRIT

Administrator 12-16-2019 05:09 PM

As I would say to any veteran, thank you for your service.

Bill

Surcouf 12-16-2019 05:51 PM

thank you!
It is great to have an owner feedback of 30 years of ownership, and get a good idea for equipment life expectancy!!!

Dave Neptune 12-18-2019 04:24 PM

John, great post!!;) I sold my boat with the A-4 some time ago now and still "play" on the site. I have a fondness for old engines. The oldest I have worked on was an irrigation pump of about 8 HP and weighed 1700 pounds including the flywheel. Really early pre 1900 and fuel injected as carbs hadn't been developed yet. :confused:

Stay active as your advice is some of the best!!

Fair winds _)

Dave Neptune :cool:

roadnsky 12-19-2019 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John-
Please don't be a stranger.
You are a valued member and contributor to this wonderful "ship of fools"!

thatch 12-21-2019 10:59 AM

John, A4s may run on gasoline but they "survive" on maintenance and sound repair methods. Thank you for all that you have contributed to our A4 world.
Tom

sailhog 12-21-2019 11:03 AM

Thanks for all of your help through the years, John. MUCH appreciated.

Don Moyer 12-21-2019 11:19 AM

Thank you!

John, just to add my personal thanks along with the rest of our MMI Team for your generous sharing of your experience over a large number of years. Your contributions have most helpful to a great many people. Don

DDO 01-07-2020 03:21 PM

Very interesting... thanks.

I loved your post. I took over my dear Atomic 4 in 2006 and was shocked to find no one would work on it nearby, so I became the sole caretaker. It turned out that I love caring for it and have since become very interested in engines, history and design as well. My list is growing to look like yours, just a few more things to do... By the way, the engine is in a sailboat, not like just sitting in my living room... Ranger 29 sloop.:)

Mo 01-07-2020 07:44 PM

Thanks John

This is not a good bye, as we know you'll be around. Sure enjoyed your posts over the years and looking forward to more. Catch you on the fly brother.

JOHN COOKSON 07-27-2020 12:18 AM

FREE MOYER A4 MANUAL

My days of dwell and carburetors are over.

I am offering my good as new Moyer manual to the Afourian community free.
I'll pay the shipping charge.
I will send it to the the first member that sends me a PM with their mailing name and address. The winner will be notified by PM.

This is the same way that I received the manual from a "retiring" forum member. I feel that it only fitting to continue the what I hope becomes a tradition.

ex TRUE GRIT

Administrator 07-27-2020 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo (Post 119561)
This is not a good bye, as we know you'll be around. Sure enjoyed your posts over the years and looking forward to more. Catch you on the fly brother.

+1. Tnx for all.

Bill

Dave Neptune 07-28-2020 10:13 AM

Keep the A-4's alive!

John, thanx for your insights and shared knowledge. I too no longer have an A-4, however I still have a great love for old engines like the "venerable A-4". I sold her about 3 1/2 years ago and I still consider this site as "playing in the sand box". I did buy a bigger boat with a stinker and now I am maintaining her. Not really a lot different other than the fuel and HP.

I still have my MMI A-4 coffee cup aboard for my coffee. When it gets noticed and I get a comment I always say, "I think the diesel is getting weak and I'm considering replacing it with 2 A-4's". Then I get very surprised faces and a comment or two.

Dave Neptune :cool:

Ando 07-29-2020 03:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadnsky (Post 119467)
John-
Please don't be a stranger.
You are a valued member and contributor to this wonderful "ship of fools"!

Yes! Attachment 15264