Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Moyer Marine Pin-Up's (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Shortening Transmission Shift Lever (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10006)

MoodyBlue2 02-06-2017 01:41 PM

Shortening Transmission Shift Lever

The shift lever on my Rebuilt A-4 appears to be a few inches taller than the one it replaced and it is hitting my exhaust elbow before it can travel into forward gear. Rather than reconfigure my exhaust pipe, I am considering shortening 2 inches off the top of the lever so it clears the pipe.

Is it OK to shorten the lever by a few inches? Will it cause vibrations or reduce the force applied by the shift linkage? Any other way to modify?

Appreciate any insights or experience.

Thanks

lat 64 02-06-2017 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can't you swap the old one on?

Mine was sawn off by PO. It works.

If you do cut it, I'd be sure to test it with some temporary clamp thing first to see if the leverage is still enough or too little.

Russ

old photo shows a little how it is

joe_db 02-06-2017 05:55 PM

If you are cutting above the attachment point you use, no worries :cool:
Not sure how it hits the exhaust, that is on the other side :confused:

Al Schober 02-06-2017 11:00 PM

The tranny shaft needs a certain amount of angular rotation to go into fwd/rev properly. The longer the shift arm is, the lower the forces will be but the higher the amount of cable travel needed. The standard shift cable will only give you 4" of travel (if I remember correctly).
Someone must know the correct arm length to use the 4" of travel. Anyone? I admit I'm a bit embarrassed that I don't know..

Nanook 02-07-2017 03:53 AM

The length of the lever doesn't matter as long as the attachment point remains the same distance from the transmission shifting shaft. They normally have two holes drilled through the lever, if you were and are using the second hole up, remove it from the engine and cut it off just above the holes. Hacksaw works just fine. Smooth the sharp edges with a file and touch up the paint.

If it is easier and still available, just swap the lever over from the old one.

MoodyBlue2 02-07-2017 10:45 AM

Thanks for the responses. The engine, and original shaft have been returned, so too late to swap them. The shifter on my boat was always on the port side of the engine, which is also where my shift linkage is oriented.

From the responses, it seems OK to shave a little off the end of the shaft, as long as the attachment point for the linkage is not changed. Best to attach linkage and test that the linkage moves the shifter effectively before doing anything. If enough torque generated to go into reverse, just cut some from the shaft.

Any other feedback is welcome.

ndutton 02-07-2017 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodyBlue2 (Post 104266)
. . . . it seems OK to shave a little off the end of the shaft, as long as the attachment point for the linkage is not changed.

Exactly right. It's the attachment point that counts, everything beyond that is useless iron. Here's an old picture of mine, port side mount. If I wanted I could saw off everything above the hub with zero effect.

roadnsky 02-07-2017 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndutton (Post 104267)
Exactly right. It's the attachment point that counts...

Here's another angle of what Neil is talking about

MoodyBlue2 02-07-2017 04:49 PM

From the pictures, I can see that alot of you have removed a significant amount of the shifter without ill effect. Seems like the way to go.

Thanks for the pictures and responses.