Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ignition System (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How to use Remote Starter Switch? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6419)

HOTFLASH 05-21-2012 11:09 PM

How to use Remote Starter Switch?

Hey, Afourians!

I think this is an ignition question and have never gone wrong with your help.

Bought a remote starter switch so I could start my engine when I am below, but its instructions are in terms of car engines do note seem to apply. I have the usual setup and wiring, and have no ammeter and have conventional ignition.

Please be very specific--and Thanks!

Mary

Dave Neptune 05-21-2012 11:47 PM

Switch (start)

Hotflash, if all you want is to work the starter use #12 or #14 wire and all you need to do is tie into the starter selonoid. One side to the battery connection and the other to where your ign. ties in (red wire) to the selonoid. The switch should be a momentary type and you will still need to turn on the ignition switch (key) to "start" the engine. The momentary switch will spin the starter any time you want, in fact it is exactly how I start my engine whenever it has sat. That way I am looking at it when she starts and I can do a visual check for leaks.

Dave Neptune :cool:

ndutton 05-22-2012 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of what Dave's talking about. Your remote start button has two leads. They connect to the two terminals identified by the black arrows.

Administrator 05-22-2012 06:34 AM

Remember not to leave the ignition switch in the ON position unnecessarily.

Bill

roadnsky 05-22-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator (Post 53976)
Remember not to leave the ignition switch in the ON position unnecessarily.

Good point! Very, very important. :eek:

HOTFLASH 05-22-2012 09:13 AM

No disconnects B4 use of remote starter?

Thank you one and all! The drawing was especially helpful.

So I do not have to disconnect or disable anything before doing this? I ask because the instructions (#2) and cautions that came with the Actron remote starter say I should, and so far none of the Afourian responses tell me to do that. I just do not want to screw something up:

http://www.actron.com/media/usermanu...ch_MNL_Eng.pdf

Mary

sastanley 05-22-2012 09:25 AM

Mary, I bought a remote starter switch because of Dave Neptune (it is always his fault when I buy something new for the engine) :D

Looks like you've received good advice above. I love my starter switch for when I am working on the motor alone. I'll reinforce Bill's comment. It is easy when your head is in the engine compartment to forget about the key. Only have it in the ON position when you are ready to start the motor, and if you are troubleshooting something & it is stalling out on you, don't forget to reach up and turn the key OFF, so you don't burn up ignition components like the coil. :cool:

jsutphen 05-22-2012 09:26 AM

hmm, it seems that your remote starter switch has a handy light that shows power. Wiring from the battery cable to the starter will always have this light on, even when ignition is off, potentially draining your batteries eventually. I think it might make sense to run a wire from the ign post of your cockpit key switch through this remote switch to the solenoid, or maybe from the ign post (purple wire) on your coil. This way, there is only power going through it when the ignition switch is turned on. Does this make any sense to anyone?

HOTFLASH 05-22-2012 09:54 AM

You caught me-No light

jsutphen,

A correction--The Actron remote starter I have is one model number less than the one I referenced with the link. The "manual" for mine was not available online, but the paper instructions I have are the same as that for the model I linked you to. But, I confess, the models are not identical.

Mary

ndutton 05-22-2012 10:13 AM

It depends on what the remote switch is used for. If it's intended to rotate the engine only as in the case of valve adjustment, you don't want the ignition on (no start, just rotate - also the intended use in the instructions). If you want to start and run the engine via this remote switch as Dave Neptune does, energizing off the ignition circuit works provided the circuit wire gauge is sufficient for the added solenoid load which - according to the diagram Mary followed in her rewire - it is not.

As for connecting to the big starter post for the power supply to the remote switch and the possibility of draining a battery over time, that post should be de-energized by the battery switch. I'm not certain but I expect the draw from the indicator light is so low as to be insignificant over a daysail or weekend.

I'll reinforce the caution by others about leaving the ignition on without the engine running. An excellent preventative for this is the oil and temp alarm system. With the ignition on and the engine not running a buzzer sounds to remind you, a side benefit beyond what's intended. It's the gift that keeps on givin'.

sastanley 05-22-2012 12:14 PM

Neil, good point. I didn't even think about using the switch to turn the engine over without starting..i.e., over the winter when you give her an MMO treatment, and certainly don't want to start her up, but may want to spin her over to move the oil around. :o

Mary, I didn't see your link but it sounds like we have the same ~$10 Actron model from your local auto boutique. It is a simple switch that is closed when the trigger is pressed and open when not. When you press the trigger, you are closing the circuit between the "S" terminal (white or yellow w/ red stripe wire ) & the big battery terminal, and that energizes the starter...the same thing that happens when you turn the key to start. :cool:

HOTFLASH 05-22-2012 01:26 PM

My Purpose for remote starter

:confused:I have a hand crank that I used to turn the engine for valve adjustment, getting to TDC, etc. The hand crank is not to start the engine. The remote starter would only be used when I want to check compression, or some other brief test when I want to be below went is starts. And Yes, I have the auto store $10 remote starter.

So--do I have it right that I do not need to disconnect anything?--but I do need to turn the keyed ignition switch off when I am done. That buzzer will help me remember!

How is my wiring not sufficient--I did not understand this from Neil:
Quote:

If you want to start and run the engine via this remote switch as Dave Neptune does, energizing off the ignition circuit works provided the circuit wire gauge is sufficient for the added solenoid load which - according to the diagram Mary followed in her rewire - it is not.
Well. can I hook up the remote starter leads one to the solenoid BATT post and one to the solenoid ST post, turn the key that is in the cockpit one detent, and then pull the trigger? And when I am done release the trigger, and with the buzzing driving me crazy, turn the cockpit switch off. How does Neil's comment fit in?

Is this the order of things?

Mary

Dave Neptune 05-22-2012 01:31 PM

Don't like!

Hotflash, if this is something you are going to leave mounted as mine is you don't want an indicator light that draws power:eek: constantly. In my set up I draw power from the "battery at the selonoid" not from the ignition. I can spin the engine anytime I want as long as the battery(ies) turned on. The engine will not start unless I turn on the ignition.

When I remove my plugs for inspection after every cruise I spray a spritz of WD-40 in the plug holes and give the starter a brief spin to spread the WD-40 evenly throughout the cylinders and valves.

Dave Neptune 05-22-2012 02:19 PM

Part II

1 Attachment(s)
Hotflash, just for an idea of my set here is a fairly recent pic of my 42 year old beastie. I have an arrow pointing to the ~ remore start switch ~ Ign box ~ ignition resistor ~ oil filter ~ water strainer ~ cooling bypass valve ~ and my favorite the fuel preassure guage & shut off valve.

Re your switch, what is it you want to do with it?

Dave Neptune :cool:Attachment 5916

sastanley 05-22-2012 05:33 PM

Mary, you are using it exactly as I do. It is the perfect tool for a compression test (leave the key off in that instance, you are ONLY spinning the motor for the compression gauge & need no ignition power).

If you actually want to start the motor, but be down below to observe as Dave N. does, you would hook up the starter switch, go to the cockpit and turn the key on, then go below and pull the trigger to start the motor. My starter trigger is just a couple cheap alligator clips on the end..I do not leave mine connected to the starter when I am done using it.

:cool:

ndutton 05-22-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOTFLASH (Post 53996)
How is my wiring not sufficient--I did not understand this from Neil

What I was referring to was the suggestion you take the power supply from the IGN terminal on the ignition switch. The purple wire connected to that terminal on the switch is also connected to the coil positive terminal. It would be very tempting to grab the power from the coil rather than run a separate wire to the ign switch. Here's the problem with that temptation though: the purple wire going from the switch to the coil is 14 gauge and the yellow/red wire for the solenoid - that which you are duplicating with the remote start button - is 12 gauge according to the Moyer diagram. The larger gauge wire is to handle higher amperage. It's generally bad form to reduce the wire size from the specification.

Sorry for the confusion.

HalcyonS 12-05-2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Neptune (Post 54001)
Hotflash, just for an idea of my set here is a fairly recent pic of my 42 year old beastie. I have an arrow pointing to the ~ remore start switch ~ Ign box ~ ignition resistor ~ oil filter ~ water strainer ~ cooling bypass valve ~ and my favorite the fuel preassure guage & shut off valve.

Dave Neptune :cool:Attachment 5916

Nice pic but mine came without 'arrows'

stalemate 03-01-2015 08:22 AM

ignition switch on

Hello y'all,

I've read and understand the wiring of a remote starter. It would definitely help working solo. Bu is there a way to wire in the "on" switch from the cockpit so you dont have to 1. go to cockpit 2. turn key to on 3. go back inside use remote. 4 return to cockpit to turn key off.

It sure would be nice to wire in something that duplicates the "on" position so all can be taken care off from inside to do troubleshooting and/or maintenance.

Thanks

Rod Worrell 03-02-2015 12:02 AM

Fuel Pump On?

When we turn our keyed ignition to "on" only, noy yet all the way over to atually start the engine, our electric fuel pump comes on. I would expect this to be the correct sequence, but none of the above comments made any reference to the electric fuel pump coming on and bringing gas to the engine (or at least ready to supply more if already primed). Seems that this would be important to know so there aren't any fuel-related surprises when the igition switch is only turned to "on". Any thoughts?

JOHN COOKSON 03-02-2015 01:45 AM

Rod
The electric fuel pump should not operate unless the key is in the on position and the engine is running and the oil pressure is up. This is accomplished by a pressure sensitive switch that closes when the oil pressure is up. This switch is referred to as the "oil pressure safety switch" or OPSS. On your boat is there a lead that goes from the electric fuel pump to a terminal on the OPSS? The typical wiring sceme is coil + to the OPSS then from the OPSS to the fuel pump. Is your OPSS missing, shorted across, or bypassed? My guess is that someone wired from the key directly to the fuel pump and bypassed the OPSS. The OPSS is required by Coast Guard regs.

TRUE GRIT

Rod Worrell 03-02-2015 08:01 PM

John, thanks for the important clarification. While what I described has been how we have always been since 1999 when we acquired her, now we have another new project! Next time down at Dixie I will trace the various wires accordingly. Sounds like I'm about to do a wiring correction, though.

romantic comedy 03-03-2015 02:11 AM

Mary, in case you can get to the starter terminals, you can also jump the terminals with a screwdriver.

chapster5 10-02-2020 06:43 AM

I have read thru this thread as I am about to do this. If I have my ignition switch in the on position if I pulled the the Plug wire( the one from my Distributor to coil ) would that prevent me from damaging my coil ??

Just wondering ?? Trying to keep things simple.

thanks, Chapster5

Dave Neptune 10-02-2020 09:48 AM

No, you need to disconnect the positive feed to de-energize the coil. The remote start switch will not need the key to be on to spin the engine.

joe_db 10-02-2020 10:03 AM

What he said - unless you want the engine to start, leave the ignition off.