Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Interest (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Stuffing Box Crack No Replacement (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11325)

Smuggli 11-04-2019 05:31 PM

Stuffing Box Crack No Replacement

Hello, I have a conundrum here. I have an Alberg 35 and the yard appears to have cracked the old-fashioned bronze stuffing box housing or stopping nut, and water is coming up through the nut itself. I can't find a replacement with the following specs:

7/8ths" (.875") diameter prop shaft
1.5" hose

They make a packing/stuffing box for 7/8ths shaft with a 1.75" hose, but no 1.5" hose to fit around the design of the stuffing box. They make a 1.5" hose for 1" diameter shaft. But not what I need either.

This has become a bit of an emergency from a timing perspective. I have hauled the boat, but we are 4 months behind schedule and 3 days ago was our drop dead date to leave. The wife is getting ready to leave me.

Any Alberg 35 or similar owners out there with this problem? Or any ideas on a source for this? I'm baffled at how there can't be something out there that fits my boat.

Thanks!

Scott Muggli
S/V Anna Rita
1966 Alberg 35
Early Model A4

ndutton 11-04-2019 07:11 PM

There's a dripless seal that fits your dimensions:
https://www.generalpropeller.com/inv...pss-02-078-112

ArtJ 11-04-2019 08:03 PM

Stuffing box hose is also sold by length. I recently bought some 1 inch hose
from Monahans marine located in Weymouth Mass. which they sawed to my requested length. They may also stock your size as well. As no doubt do other local marine stores. The big suppliers such as Defender do not always stock all sizes

joe_db 11-04-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smuggli (Post 119066)
Hello, I have a conundrum here. I have an Alberg 35 and the yard appears to have cracked the old-fashioned bronze stuffing box housing or stopping nut, and water is coming up through the nut itself. I can't find a replacement with the following specs:

7/8ths" (.875") diameter prop shaft
1.5" hose

They make a packing/stuffing box for 7/8ths shaft with a 1.75" hose, but no 1.5" hose to fit around the design of the stuffing box. They make a 1.5" hose for 1" diameter shaft. But not what I need either.

This has become a bit of an emergency from a timing perspective. I have hauled the boat, but we are 4 months behind schedule and 3 days ago was our drop dead date to leave. The wife is getting ready to leave me.

Any Alberg 35 or similar owners out there with this problem? Or any ideas on a source for this? I'm baffled at how there can't be something out there that fits my boat.

Thanks!

Scott Muggli
S/V Anna Rita
1966 Alberg 35
Early Model A4

I would be letting the yard go find the parts ;)

Dave Neptune 11-04-2019 09:00 PM

Scott, I agree with the yard finding one as they probably have many sources if they're not to lazy.

If it is indeed unavailable building up the current "boss" an 1/8" should not be a big deal. Most "bosses" are just sorta smooth f-glass anyway. Perhaps a piece of "exhaust f-glass pieces" could be cut and epoxied on the old boss. It just may be faster and again the yard should be able to do this easily.

Dave Neptune :cool:

ndutton 11-05-2019 08:38 AM

See if you can get a hose dimension for this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-Bronze-...AAAOSw6D1a-dxv

GregH 11-05-2019 08:53 AM

On My Alberg 30, the stern tube is an odd size such that could not get a hose to fit it properly. What did work was that a smaller hose that luck would have it, had the correct ID and OD needed - fit perfectly as a spacer, and snugly too.

Maybe that's an option too?

joe_db 11-05-2019 09:10 AM

My PSS carbon face seal fits those dimensions FYI. Still should not be YOUR problem!

ndutton 11-05-2019 09:51 AM

In general I'm pretty cynical of boatyard diligence in the initial work (the problem here) and a timely resolution. Yes, I'm sure there are good yards out there and this may be one of them but the odds are not good in my experience.

A problem on my boat is always my problem. I've found my direct involvement solves it sooner or later and given the very tight time constraint presented in this thread, sooner is better.

To that end, any time I've been in a yard I've always provided an act of kindness early on, usually a couple dozen doughnuts before the shift begins the first couple of days. It works wonders.

GregH 11-05-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndutton (Post 119080)
In general I'm pretty cynical of boatyard diligence in the initial work (the problem here) and a timely resolution. Yes, I'm sure there are good yards out there and this may be one of them but the odds are not good in my experience.

A problem on my boat is always my problem. I've found my direct involvement solves it sooner or later and given the very tight time constraint presented in this thread, sooner is better.

To that end, any time I've been in a yard I've always provided an act of kindness early on, usually a couple dozen doughnuts before the shift begins the first couple of days. It works wonders.

Little off topic, but I took always show my appreciation on launch and haulout with a mega-sized bag of skittles for the yard crew - they love em! (for some reason :rolleyes:) They are always very appreciative and any little summer thing is that much smoother. That said, they are good people anyways!

sastanley 11-06-2019 01:58 PM

I have found a case of beer in a cooler on splash day is appreciated..just depends on which type of yard you use! I try to schedule my splashes for Friday afternoons. ;)