Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fuel System (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Acceleration problems (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10932)

sailr 11-06-2018 04:22 AM

Acceleration problems

I have a problem similar to one that is an old post. My engine ran fine after I fixed over heating problem for about six months. I go to the boat and crank the engine about once every two weeks. It always cranks and runs fine. I put the choke on and crank the engine. It usually takes a couple of short tries and then it cranks and runs fine. I take the choke off after the engine warms up and it runs really smooth. I put it in forward and she runs smoothly as I increase the rpms. I idle back down and then put her in reverse and increase rpms and after a few minutes I idle back down. I do these for about 15 to 20 minutes and the shut the engine down.
Now the problem-
Last time I went out to crank her she cranked up fine and ran smoothly. When I increased the rpms the engine seemed to stall and almost died but then caught back up and ran at the increased rpms. I thought I had not warmed the engine up enough so I idler her back down and when the engine got up to 140 degrees I tried to increase the rpms again with the same reaction. Motor almost stalled and then caught up and ran fine. I tried putting her in gear and when I increased the rpms same reaction. Motor almost stalled, but then caught back up. Once the motor catches back up it runs fine no matter what the rpms are.

I will replace spark plugs first to see if they are the culprit. Does anyone have any ideas of where to go from there if that doesn't help? The old article was about blocked exhaust hose and delaminated exhaust hose that was causing back pressure on the exhaust. I have a fantastic water flow out the exhaust with no smoke or steam and the engine temp never gets above 160F.

I have only owned the boat for a year and haven't done any sailing due to work on the boat from water leaks from stanchions. I got the boat on eBay for what I thought was a song. After I got her here to Lake Charles I had several medical problems including a mini stroke and two surgeries. Spent 3 or 4 months of the year in the hospital. Now all better so have begun to work on her again. Any advice or experiences of this problem and successful remedy would be greatly appreciated

Sailr

ndutton 11-06-2018 07:09 AM

Centrifugal advance might be a problem.

joe_db 11-06-2018 09:29 AM

That could be it. One of my outboards had the advance linkage fall off and it would only idle and died when you accelerated.

Antibes 11-06-2018 02:19 PM

+1 on Neil's suggestion. Clean and oil the weights and springs in distributor advance mechanism. I had your same symptoms for a year and was fixed immediately with a little work

sailr 11-06-2018 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info and advice. Now if the storms would just stop! I'll look into the distributor advance an see what I can do.

thanks again
Sailr