Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Safety (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Refuelling at sea (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8445)

cdhickey 08-04-2014 10:07 AM

Refuelling at sea

So I'm fairly confident with the safety precautions necessary when refuelling a gas powered boat at a fuel dock, but I am less sure of what the best practices are if one had to refuel at sea or on a mooring. To date this hasn't been an issue for me, but I can see scenarios when it may be necessary to use a jerry can to refill the tank between ports.

My thoughts would be that the process would be much the same- no sources of ignition, hatches closed, etc. What other precautions should be taken? Or is this just a terrible idea to even consider?

ndutton 08-04-2014 10:11 AM

Heh-heh, jerry cans are the ONLY way I fuel up. The precautions are the same as at the fuel dock.

roadnsky 08-04-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndutton (Post 83994)
Heh-heh, jerry cans are the ONLY way I fuel up. The precautions are the same as at the fuel dock.

+1
In fact, I would wholeheartedly argue that it is a much safer procedure. ;)

Trés 30 08-04-2014 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If spillage is your concern (I also use the red cans) you could use a transfer pump like the one pictured.

Maybe also you could rig a reserve tank with a Y valve and a line directly to a removable, but secured, tank. Be sure to vent it properly. All safety rules (ventilation, no spark) apply x2.

Mo 08-04-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndutton (Post 83994)

+ another 1

joe_db 08-04-2014 12:33 PM

Refueling at sea implies to me that you are underway. This introduces a few complications.
1. Water in the fuel: If it is rough enough you'll get a lot of saltwater along with your fuel. With ethanol-crapgas this will make a mess not fixable by the water seperator.
2. Spillage: If it is rough, gas will go other places besides the tank.
3. Wind Direction: Typically the fuel fill is near the stern. Wind from aft will blow gas fumes into the cabin :eek: In this case a course change is best or at least shut the hatches.
4. Engine running: If all is well the engine can be running, but you have no margin at all for finding leaks or fumes before they are a real danger.

Refueling while anchored is a best case. You are into the wind and not underway.

ArtJ 08-04-2014 12:34 PM

My fill cap is located amidships on the port deck. I usually just take
a funnel and a new fangled home depot jug , take the crazy spout off and pour
into the funnel. I have done this at anchor successfully, no engine
running and at sea with wind and engine running. It seems as though
the breeze keeps fumes away. no open hatches or ports.
Would never do this at a fill dock.

hanleyclifford 08-04-2014 01:01 PM

When traveling the ICW to Florida I have no choice but to visit fuel docks though with my three tank (total 46 gal) capacity I can pick and choose. I used to carry fuel jugs on deck (port and starboard) but when you do that you look like exactly what you are - a "floater". But I do like to have the ability to buy gasoline from a land fuel station (South Mills Lock is a good example) so I devised a removable 6 gal tank complete with quick disconnects for fuel and vent and an independent shut off valve. I never refuel underway; you never know when a stink pot will roar by and lay a wake on you.

Vermont30 08-04-2014 06:11 PM

This happened yesterday where I get my pump outs....

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...odes/13551445/

sastanley 08-05-2014 03:30 PM

Help for new fangled spouts

I found a small company in Hawaii (on ebay) that sells little vents for jerry cans. This helps the s-l-o-w spouts that 'vent themselves' tremendously and you get much better flow. Most of my jerry cans have these now, and each time I empty one, I add a vent cap. I still have a couple old school jerry cans without the stupid spouts too. :D :rolleyes:

Here is a link to his store - http://stores.ebay.com/Gas-Spouts-Pl...p2047675.l2563

Sea Haven 08-05-2014 03:48 PM

Best filling "tool" ever!

Been on the hook for quite some time.
A couple of 5 Gal cans and a Hopkins hose:
Hopkins (HPK10801)
Shaker Siphon

No worries regarding the new "push to pour" spouts on the newer cans since you remove it altogether and siphon directly from the can to your gas fill.
After following ALL the same recommended fueling procedures that you would at the dock: (Close Ports/Hatches etc)
1-Place the fill end in your fill opening.
2-The end with the metal and marble into the gas can.
3-Shake it up and down a few times quickly to get it started.
4-Sit back and watch it empty the Gas can in no time.
5-Pull the can end out to let whatever's in the hose finish into your tank.
6-Let the Hopkins air dry before storing it.
After completion, again follow ALL the same recommended fueling procedures that you would at the dock: (Open Ports/Hatches, run blower etc)
I have NEVER spilled a drop on my Pearson 323.:D
Of course check local Law Authority regarding the legality of fueling at your mooring. All you need is a pissed off mooring neighbor calling "Five-O" down on you.:mad:
I absolutely love the Hopkins, and you're not constrained to any particular gas can or fill spout. It's amazing how easy and fast it works.
"Sub" Ed

lat 64 08-05-2014 09:33 PM

Question:
Why do you guys close hatches and ports during fuel up?

joe_db 08-05-2014 09:42 PM

To keep gas fumes out of the boat ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lat 64 (Post 84058)
Question:
Why do you guys close hatches and ports during fuel up?

romantic comedy 08-05-2014 11:29 PM

Russ, the gas fumes are heavier then air. Picture the fumes rolling across the boat down hill. The idea is to keep them from finding their way below.

After fill up, before starting the engine, open the hatches and ventilate.

lat 64 08-06-2014 12:45 AM

Thanks, it all makes sense but I guess never did that because my fill port is outside of deep coamings and anything liquid or heavier than air would go overboard. That said, I make a more-than-usuall and rigorous sniff around the bilge before starting up at the gas dock. The attendants never give anyone grief about going through a check list. I have seen them watch me and smile.

I'll review my procedure. It might change.

Russ

Rbyham 08-06-2014 04:32 AM

+1 on the shaker syphon hose. Cheap and simple and easy. Since getting one I never even contemplate pouring or spilling. A must have IMHO.

Administrator 08-06-2014 06:18 AM

+2 on the shaker siphon, plus the hose is clear, so you can see what you're removing when you use it to go looking for that ethanol schmutz at the bottom of the tank.

Bill

cdhickey 08-06-2014 07:34 AM

Thanks- all very helpful!

Sea Haven 08-06-2014 08:45 AM

Hopkins HPK10801

MMI~

Perhaps you folk's be adding the Hopkins to your excellent line?? lol

"Sub" Ed
SY Sea Haven
'78 Pearson 323 #124

sastanley 08-06-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lat 64 (Post 84066)
Thanks, it all makes sense but I guess never did that because my fill port is outside of deep coamings and anything liquid or heavier than air would go overboard. That said, I make a more-than-usuall and rigorous sniff around the bilge before starting up at the gas dock. The attendants never give anyone grief about going through a check list. I have seen them watch me and smile.

I'll review my procedure. It might change.

Russ

Russ, My fuel fill is outboard of the cockpit coaming, and I am 99% sure the fumes go overboard as well, it is that 1% you never know about, so, I always close the boat as well, as I was taught. I also turn on the blower prior to opening up the boat.

If I am fueling at the slip with jerry cans...I usually have the jerry can as the first thing out of the trunk, and do the gas filling first before I open up the boat and bring any gear aboard, just out of habit, since the boat is already closed up. :cool:

When I ran a gas dock, I always worried about the ones that did NOT go thru a checklist or procedure. "Here's your receipt, sorry I can't help you off, I gotta get my tail up this dock and away from you in case you blow up!!"

edit - Ooooo, I like that shaker siphon.. I guess the marble thingie keeps the fuel in the line as you are advancing it to start the siphon??

I found another product I think I will be purchasing...a "Mr. Funnel" :D

romantic comedy 08-06-2014 02:59 PM

Russ, I fill up the way you do. Not that it is the best way...
I close the ports on the gas fill side, and that is it.

Sea Haven 08-06-2014 04:52 PM

Fuel Fill location

FWIW...
The fill on my Pearson 323 is on the stbd F/G "weatherboard" coaming, outboard side. The fumes that are displaced by the gas filling go directly overboard, as well as out the vent on the transom.
I stick as much hose a possible into Sea Haven's fuel fill while still maintaining enough length to remain in the gas can to allow can to rest on the coaming's flat top, inboard of the lifelines of course.
I do keep my hand the can as the little glass "marble" from the shaker siphon rattles away down at the bottom of the can as the boat fuels. It's a nice "audible" confirmation of fuel flow.
Direct addition of fuel with little chance of spill. IMHO, I would only use "Mr. Funnel" to fill the Gas Can at the station. :cool: Of course as mentioned before, I follow all practices, including flying the "BRAVO" flag.

On a side note, my Bristol 29.9, a diesel Yanmar 2GM15, had it's fuel fil in the center of the cockpit...WORSE PLACE EVER. If leaves clogged the cockpit drains, water seeped into the tank! And though I could enjoy a good cigar while fueling, no matter how careful I was diesel always managed to get on the cockpit deck and stain it.

I just love my 323, and the A4.