Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Interest (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Information needed (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10901)

ndutton 10-09-2018 07:47 PM

Information needed

From the turn of the key/push of the start button, how long does it usually take to start your engine following a typical layoff (not over winter)?

joe_db 10-09-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndutton (Post 114645)
From the turn of the key/push of the start button, how long does it usually take to start your engine following a typical layoff (not over winter)?

Been run that day, fuel not run out - maybe 2 seconds if that.
Fuel run out - but primed before start and cold - say overnight - maybe 20-30 seconds.

roadnsky 10-09-2018 09:56 PM

Cold start...
Starts right up. 1-2 seconds (Full Choke)

Warm...
Starts right up. 1-2 seconds. (No Choke)

edwardc 10-09-2018 10:06 PM

In the summer, three tries, each try consisting of about 5 seconds of cranking followed by 5-10 seconds of waiting. First try does nothing but crank. Second try coughs once or twice. Third try starts right up.

Peter 10-09-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardc (Post 114649)
In the summer, three tries, each try consisting of about 5 seconds of cranking followed by 5-10 seconds of waiting. First try does nothing but crank. Second try coughs once or twice. Third try starts right up.

Almost the same as Ed except I do not get the coughing on the second try.

Peter

wristwister 10-09-2018 11:50 PM

Pretty much the same as Ed and Peter.

TomG 10-09-2018 11:59 PM

I just cranked mine after a four week layoff and it started after a second or two. That's pretty typical. (Full choke, throttle off the stop.)

romantic comedy 10-10-2018 12:35 AM

Always starts right up....2-5 seconds

Mark Millbauer 10-10-2018 12:57 AM

Prime electric fuel pump, pull choke, crank 5 seconds or less to start . Carb is always run dry when shut down for the day. Average frequency of use once every 4 weeks

JOHN COOKSON 10-10-2018 01:51 AM

Starts on the first or second try after sitting for two weeks: I use 6-9 second cranking bursts with a 10 second rest in between trys.
Seems a bit more reluctant if the temp has been under 40 degrees sometime during the two weeks. Never have figured out why.

TRUE GRIT

Mo 10-10-2018 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadnsky (Post 114648)
Cold start...
Starts right up. 1-2 seconds (Full Choke)

Warm...
Starts right up. 1-2 seconds. (No Choke)

Same here.

sdemore 10-10-2018 06:16 AM

Same as most here. If it has been started in the past several hours, it fires up 1st try, in 3 or 4 seconds. Normal starts, 3rd or 4th try of 5-10 second bursts.

toddster 10-10-2018 12:59 PM

Summer time "cold" - one or two cranks 5-10 seconds
Winter time "cold" - two or three cranks 5 - 10 seconds
Warm - 1-2 seconds.

GregH 10-10-2018 03:35 PM

this summer cold start, choke out, 2-3 sec.
Cant tell you about warm as I haven't had an opportunity to run it long enough.

I also believe it is running a little rich right now.

ndutton 10-10-2018 07:53 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'm up to my armpits in an A4 project and your responses are most helpful.

Whippet 10-11-2018 12:08 AM

fast

sorry late to party.

Since EI, proper timing, and new carb - it always fires fast. A few seconds even if cold. In old days with none of above - I would have used an hour glass to measure time to start

be well

capnward 10-11-2018 02:16 AM

A4s rock!

After a few days not running, engine turned off with gas in carb, with a cold engine, (but not very cold in the summer), choke out, throttle at half, fuel pressurized by mechanical pump bail, 2 seconds. Without priming with bail, 2 or maybe three five-second cranks, five seconds apart. If engine had been running the day before, usually one 4 second crank with choke on but no priming. I push the choke back in after a few seconds. Takes about 15 minutes to get up to 160 degrees. Indigo thermostat, FWC, EI. If engine is warmed up, no choke, starts in 1 second. She's been doing this all summer, running most days, 150 hours since May. After a winter layoff, who knows? Could be three seconds, or three weeks. I didn't run it dry at the end of last season, and had a bad (leaking, with rust around the top rim) coil. After cleaning carb and jets, replacing filters, fuel hose, coil, cap, rotor, plugs, oiling breaker plates, setting initial timing, and priming the fuel line, she still wouldn't start until we put a little gas in the air intake. Then she showed signs of life, and started after further turning of the distributor. Once timing was set under load at speed, she was good all season. Thanks to the old engineers at Universal, the folks at Moyer Marine, and this forum, I made some money and had a lot of fun with my trusty Atomic Four. They really are great engines, if you learn how to handle them. Plus they are quiet, can run at low speeds, and never smell like diesel, which is good for the passengers. Others may call them obsolete, and compared to the mileage diesels obtain, they are. But as long as devoted owners continue to use them and work on them, they will remain gems. Besides, I am obsolete, too.

Joe Miller 10-11-2018 07:14 AM

After 4 years working on the boat and not starting engine, I did a tune up and engine started on 2nd or 3rd try of about 10 seconds each. A few issues now but working through them.

Joe

Dave Neptune 10-11-2018 05:21 PM

Neil, old motor and poor compression. EI, manual FP, PCV and stock plugs @.040".

Warm start after running within 4~5 hours choke on 2~3 seconds and she purred. Release choke immediately.

Cold start after running within a few days choke 5~6 seconds and she purred. Ease the choke a bit immediately and completely after a 5~10 seconds down to around 50 degrees.

Cold start after being in the slip a while even a couple of months and I would run the gas out of the carb after docking. First open the engine box to get to my remote start switch and open the fuel valve. Then crank for around 10~15 seconds with the choke on and ignition OFF until I had both oil and fuel pressure. Then I would turn on the ignition and she would start in a few seconds. Then ease the choke a bit and after 20~30 seconds release it completely.

My idle was set for 700 and I would apply enough throttle to yield about 1500 any time starting cold and a bit less warm.

Dave Nep0tune :cool:

Administrator 10-11-2018 06:25 PM

Sniff, sniff....

Something's up?

Is there, uh, anything you might want to share with us?

Bill

ndutton 10-11-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator (Post 114676)
Is there, uh, anything you might want to share with us?

Not yet but things are looking promising.

Sam 10-11-2018 11:49 PM

It seems to me that I remember reading a past thread from our west coast engineering guru [which I always find educational] that due the "updraft" A4 carb design that a cold start with adequate choke could take 2 or 3 momentary start attempts. If it does start right up the main jet is set a little too rich.

It is cold here Chicago, around 45 F and my 1966 early model A4 initialy starts right up with choke [impresses folks all the time] This last spring among other things I cleaned the tank and the zenith carb and it runs well. Checked the plugs today, end of the season, and they look somewhat dark, running well but a little rich. On target again.

GregH 10-12-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 114683)
It seems to me that I remember reading a past thread from our west coast engineering guru [which I always find educational] that due the "updraft" A4 carb design that a cold start with adequate choke could take 2 or 3 momentary start attempts. If it does start right up the main jet is set a little too rich.

It is cold here Chicago, around 45 F and my 1966 early model A4 initialy starts right up with choke [impresses folks all the time] This last spring among other things I cleaned the tank and the zenith carb and it runs well. Checked the plugs today, end of the season, and they look somewhat dark, running well but a little rich. On target again.

Sounds just like me. Cold start real easy and fast and dark plugs.

it's on my list this weekend.

zellerj 10-12-2018 09:54 AM

when summer cold - just a couple of seconds with full choke, then no choke upon starting.
when spring/fall cold - takes two attempts, so 5 to 10 seconds and leave choke full for a little longer

ndutton 10-12-2018 10:13 AM

Based on the responses it seems most if not all have their engine started in under 60 seconds regardless of temperature or layoff time. Sound about right?