Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Interest (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Largest A4 powered boat and smallest (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10927)

joe_db 10-30-2018 10:16 AM

Largest A4 powered boat and smallest

Just curious - what are the biggest and smallest?
The largest I know of are some old C&C 40s and the smallest is the Dyer 16 Glamour Girl.

sastanley 10-31-2018 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a custom designed 48' boat, Pursuit, here in Solomons that was rumored to have an Atomic 4 in it at one time. Norm (the dude in the middle of the boat with the wide brimmed hat and white striped shirt) designed and built the boat in the 70's I think, and it has had many alterations since.

Until you mentioned the C&C 40's, the longest production boat I could think of was a Hughes 38.

edit - here is a pic of Pursuit. This pic was I think taken in 2015 when they were first to finish in the Annapolis to Bermuda Race. The next time I see Norm, which may be at the local Frostbite races this weekend, I'll ask him to confirm there was an A-4 in the boat back in the day.

Looks like they might have luckily just missed a crab pot in this pic..maybe understandable given the timing of the picture if it in fact was in Bermuda after a long race.

Crazer 10-31-2018 10:55 PM

Numerous Rhodes Bounty 41s were equipped with Atomic 4s. I've heard anecdotally that they are noticeably under powered, not surprising given their substantial size.

joe_db 11-01-2018 09:56 AM

I have never actually seen a C&C 40 with an A4, they all seemed to get a diesel at some point. That really is too much boat for the A4 by modern standards. Back in the day if the motor moved the boat out of the marina that was all that was expected of it.

sastanley 11-05-2018 06:40 PM

confirmed

I did speak with the owner of Pursuit this weekend. He confirmed that his boat had two different V-Drive A4's in it over the years.. He is presently running a Yanmar V-drive, but I do not know the HP.

Keep in mind this was a custom boat he designed and built, so it is unique. He continues to tweak it, and she is still competitive. They do better in distance races than Windward/Leeward stuff though. She will not plane, so she relies on LWL, and can't keep up with planing boats in a big blow downwind despite masthead asymmetric spinnakers. However, it is a machine upwind, with a triple spreader frac rig, overlapping genoa, and jumper stays up top to tame the mast bend. When he puts her in cruise mode (he and his wife are in their 70's), he installs a Hoyt jib boom and enjoys smaller headsails.