• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkaiser77
    • Jun 2016

Keyway Stuck

Hi folks

I'm nearing the end of an overhaul, but the old key at the end of the reversing gear is stuck. I bought a new output coupling, and I'd like to use the new key. The old one actually seems a wee bit bigger than the new one.

Any tips for getting the old key off? I put some PB blaster on it. Maybe add some heat?

• thatch
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2009

The end of the key-way farthest away from us in the picture is actually rounded as a result of the machining process. If you use a small drift and your "smallest" hammer, you should be able to gently tap it in the direction the engine and up and out of it's slot. Your pre-soaking has most likely readied the key for removal.
    Tom

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Personally, I think I'd leave it. What you want is a snug fit between the key and the shaft, and you have that. A little slop in the coupling is no biggie.

Comment

• thatch
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2009

I agree with Al about leaving the old key in place. The important thing is to do a test fit to make sure that the new flange coupler will slide all the way onto the shaft and bottom out on the round washer.
        Tom

Comment

• jkaiser77
          • Jun 2016

Hi folks

I was finally able to drill the key out. It was very tenacious, but I think it was worth the effort to be able to put a new key in and reduce the chance of any problems with the rear output coupling. (Fingers crossed.)

Thanks for the advice!

James

Comment

Working...
          X