Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Wish List (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Ignition Crank (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027)

Charles Taylor 11-13-2007 02:24 PM

Ignition Crank

I wish you would offer an ingition crank with a shorter round pipe section (I don't know what else to call it). I got a crank from you and was unable to use it due to the limited clearance of the front of the engine compartment of my 1977 Ericson 32.

Thanks,
Charles

ArtJ 11-10-2009 05:06 PM

Cranking the Atomic 4 i

Can something like a rachet wrench be adapted to crank the engine
for those of use without 360 degree availablitiy?

Assuming that it
could somehow release without breaking a arm?

I. probably like
most people born after the 1930's have never cranked a engine,
but have heard stories about broken arms from model T's.

What is the true story about cranking the atomic 4 ?

It would be useful in a emergency.

ArtJ 11-10-2009 05:08 PM

Cranking adapter add-on to PTO Pulley

Is there, and should there be a cranking adapter for engines with the
Power Take Off pulley installed?

Marian Claire 11-10-2009 05:33 PM

What is the true story about cranking the atomic 4 ?

I have hand cranked my A4. Warm it is no problem, cold it takes a few tries. I have a full 360 and good forward clearance. The crank I have is designed to disengage itself and a little grease helps. I was told to kind of shove the crank and not really grip it to protect your thumb. My engine usually cranks/fires almost instantly with the battery. Dan S/V Marian Claire

roadnsky 11-10-2009 06:36 PM

There's a YouTube video on Hand Cranking...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntUkg...rom=PL&index=6

msmith10 11-10-2009 10:15 PM

ArtJ,
I made my own hand crank using a spark plug socket and 3/8" rachet with an extension. For safety, I ground asymmetrical v-shaped slots in each side of the socket where it engages the roll pin in the end of the crankshaft so it looks kind of like the hand crank in the Moyer catalog. (If you don't understand this I can send a drawing). That way, if the ratchet fails or accidentally slips into the other direction, the socket will still kick out of engagement with the roll pin when the motor starts. Also, as Marian Claire recommends, you don't really grip the crank, but kind of "push" it with an open palm. My experience is that you only have to push it through maybe 90 degrees. I'd also wear gloves.
I found the engine to start really easily, even cold, with just a few short cranks.
No, I wouldn't rely on it every day, but it's good to know I can do it if I need to.

ArtJ 11-11-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith10 (Post 17872)
ArtJ,
I made my own hand crank using a spark plug socket and 3/8" rachet with an extension. For safety, I ground asymmetrical v-shaped slots in each side of the socket where it engages the roll pin in the end of the crankshaft so it looks kind of like the hand crank in the Moyer catalog. (If you don't understand this I can send a drawing). That way, if the ratchet fails or accidentally slips into the other direction, the socket will still kick out of engagement with the roll pin when the motor starts. Also, as Marian Claire recommends, you don't really grip the crank, but kind of "push" it with an open palm. My experience is that you only have to push it through maybe 90 degrees. I'd also wear gloves.
I found the engine to start really easily, even cold, with just a few short cranks.
No, I wouldn't rely on it every day, but it's good to know I can do it if I need to.

I would very much appreciate if you would post the drawing.

Thanks very much

Art

sastanley 11-11-2009 08:43 AM

+1

Hi Mark,
A diagram would be great. I have a C-30, and the problem is I do not think the Moyer designed crank has enough clearance since my engine is surrounded by a box, so I have zero clearance in front & would need an extension as well.

I am considering a ~1" diameter hole that I can plug for the purpose of a visual on the roll pin for setting timing & hand cranking if I ever need it using a tool similar to the design you describe. No sense in re-inventing the wheel! :D

msmith10 11-11-2009 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached (I think) a drawing. *Please note that I am not recommending that you do this yourself. Any use of this drawing is at your own risk. (Dewey, Cheatam, & Howe)

Administrator 11-11-2009 08:59 AM

Don has this product for setting timing, etc. Note that it is not not intended to start the engine.

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/../images/tool3.jpg

(IGLM_17.1_479) Ignition timing socket

This attachment is designed to allow turning of the engine for maintenance in cases where access in front of the engine does not allow the swinging of a crank handle. A 3/4" socket and ratchet handle is used to turn the attachment.

ArtJ 11-11-2009 01:57 PM

Does Moyer Marine carry roll pin adapter for PTO engines?

Does Moyer Marine carry a roll pin adapter for engines with PTO pulley
installed???

Marian Claire 11-11-2009 03:08 PM

Check out the online catalog, cooling system, fresh water cooling equipment, parts and accessories. Might be what you are looking for. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Administrator 11-11-2009 03:45 PM

Here 'tis:

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/../images/402mmi.jpg

(CFWC_11_186.1) Hand crank attachment

ArtJ 11-11-2009 04:39 PM

Re: PTO adapter

It appears that this requires an additional flange replacement as well and, does not
appear to backwards compatible with existing PTO pulley installation.

Furtherly, it appears that it also may protrude extra inches, which
may preclude usage on boats like the Tartan 34 c which does not
have much, if any, horizontal clearance as is, would just be able to fit a
modifed socket without the extra length.

Please explain in additional detail how this kit retrofits.

Thanks

CamaroMan 11-02-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith10 (Post 17877)
I have attached (I think) a drawing. *Please note that I am not recommending that you do this yourself. Any use of this drawing is at your own risk. (Dewey, Cheatam, & Howe)

Hi - can u remember what size the actual socket was? I can hardly get a hand round the back of the motor - closest fit I could get was a 12 point 3/4 socket - that seemed to fit just about perfect around the cracnk snout.

I couldnt even tell what else was in there - I have a 13/16 deep socket I bought for $1 im going to try grind, Just hve no idea what the OD of the snout is or the depth of the pin "in" from the snout..

thanks again!