Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Interest (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mystery parts (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11340)

sagem57 11-23-2019 06:56 PM

Mystery parts

1 Attachment(s)
To refurbish my a4 I layed down a clean tarp built an engine stand and started removing components. Each part was cleaned rebuilt painted and set aside. I am now down to the engine block, Pistons crank and valves. Before I start in on them I thought it'd be a good idea to clean up the area first.as I looked down amongst all the paint chips, grease and dirt I thought I saw. A metal chip that would come off a drill. Since I hadn't done any drilling I picked it up only to find out that it was a spring. upon closer look I found a second and 3 tiny pushrods. I have no idea where they came from or if they even belong to this motor or one of it's components. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I included a penny in the photo for scale.

Surcouf 11-23-2019 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry I could not resist...

But are these rods metals? Carbon? (starter or alternator? Even though they look very small for that)

Good luck! I am in the middle of my overhaul, and pretty sure I will not be able to find the right bolts when I will try to assemble it back together..

sagem57 11-23-2019 09:48 PM

I tried to scrape one with a knife and got nothing. Possibly steel. I had to disassemble the distributor because of all the rust including the fly weights maybe down in there? They are not from the starter that was done at a local shop

ndutton 11-24-2019 09:42 AM

Those look like mechanical fuel pump push rods to me but it makes no sense that there would be three of them laying around unless the previous owner kept making the same mistake over and over and over. Don't count on my guess.

As for the springs, no idea. I considered the oil pressure regulator and the distributor timing advance springs but neither look like yours.

Dave Neptune 11-24-2019 11:00 AM

I have no idea BUTT they could be diaphragm springs however no idea on the rods unless Neil was right and then why 3?

Dave Neptune :cool:

Dave Neptune 11-24-2019 11:02 AM

Want one

Surcouf, how do I get that shirt in an XL? I love it.

ndutton 11-24-2019 11:21 AM

Maybe exploded starter Bendix pieces? I dunno, never had one apart.

Dave Neptune 11-24-2019 11:30 AM

I have worked with "over riding clutches" on lots on different machines that look very similar. I just don't see an application for one in the A-4. In this case you would be missing one spring. Doubt the Bendix unit as they run on a twisted thread of sorts, no need for the clutch.

ndutton 11-24-2019 11:53 AM

Yeah Dave, I know what you're talking about. Automotive electric window clutches are the same except the 'bullets" are plastic, three of them in a hub.

I agree about the shirt, need one baaaaaadd.

JOHN COOKSON 11-24-2019 12:08 PM

Going Out On a Limb.....

Parts for the the ratchet in an old style winch? The old winches had the two metal cylinders with a spring between them. The little metal parts rode up and over a machined ratcheting base so the winch would only turn in one direction. The winches were made of brass or bronze and had a screw in the middle so you could take the spindle off the shaft for service.

TRUE GRIT

sagem57 11-24-2019 01:36 PM

I have the distributor o n the bench. Guess I'll take it apart and let you know what I find.

Surcouf 11-24-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Neptune (Post 119256)
Surcouf, how do I get that shirt in an XL? I love it.

Many different versions of it on amazon... Just google “skilled enoigh to take it appart smart enough to hide”. There are bikers versions, Porsche version... we may need an A4 one?

sagem57 11-24-2019 04:17 PM

Took the distributor apart again to look for possiblities and ....nothing!
Called a friend of mine and discribed the parts to him. He thought the parts sounded too small and delicate to be part of this motor .sounded more like parts out of an electric switch or some kind. So I'm going to go with that for the time being and continue on with the rebuild. Thanks to all who chimed in and party on dudes !

alcodiesel 11-25-2019 06:59 AM

Like me you can start an orphan parts box. Stuff in there I have no idea where it came from but I just know the week after I throw it out I will find where it belongs.

chapster5 11-26-2019 06:59 AM

Any chance the spouse decided she wanted to mess with you ?? :)

Chapster5

Administrator 11-26-2019 07:04 AM

There is an oft-repeated story around these parts about devious racing sailors casually throwing a cotter pin on the deck of a competitor's boat on race day when no one was looking.

Bill

Surcouf 11-26-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator (Post 119283)
There is an oft-repeated story around these parts about devious racing sailors casually throwing a cotter pin on the deck of a competitor's boat on race day when no one was looking.

Bill

LOL... that is indeed a famous one!! They do the same trick in the “Ford vs Ferrari” movie

edwardc 11-26-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Bill

The preferred delivery method is to use a rubber-band stretched across your finger & thumb as a slingshot to shoot the cotter pin at their mainsail just before the start of the race. It will harmlessly strike it, and then fall nosily into the cockpit. This REALLY puts them off their game! ;)

lat 64 11-26-2019 02:51 PM

Looks like the resistors from inside a spark plug(s).
Did you break the ceramic part of the plugs when you took them out?

Either that, or they are tachyon compressors from the flux capacitors. Don't cross the beams!!

BTW, my shirt size is a medium. Welcome,

Russ

Al Schober 11-27-2019 10:01 PM

I used to crew big boats back in the days of wood masts and sail tracks. One of our competitors was Jacob Isbrandtsen in his 54' double end 'Hother'. Our skipper used to keep a few brass wood screws in his pocket (well aged). At an appropriate moment, he'd toss these into the mainsail of a boat to leeward. They'd clatter down into the cockpit causing some distress in the leeward boat.

alcodiesel 11-28-2019 10:26 AM

You guys are too much! I've had a rivet head, and a Allen screw fall on my deck in the last few years. I don't even race and yet I was unsettled and still search where they came from!

Administrator 11-28-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lat 64 (Post 119287)
Looks like the resistors from inside a spark plug(s).
Did you break the ceramic part of the plugs when you took them out?

Either that, or they are tachyon compressors from the flux capacitors. Don't cross the beams!!

BTW, my shirt size is a medium. Welcome,

Russ

Fetzer valve upper compression spring and carbon brush?

2XL.

Bill

lat 64 11-29-2019 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just want the credit! (see photo)

Bill,
Fetzer valve not used so much anymore as hair metal is lost on this young generation:D

sagem57 12-17-2019 08:56 PM

Ooooo I think you nailed it !!! It was really cold in the shop when I tried to remove the spark plugs and I broke 3 if them !! I can't wait to go out in the shop tomorrow and break open that 4th pulgto see for sure.

nyvoyager 12-18-2019 06:54 AM

It is indeed true. As a new boat owner 25 years ago I found myself caught in it.
Looking back it is rather hysterical...everyone had a good laugh.

Quote:

Bill