Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ignition System (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Where do i start? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11604)

pknier 07-30-2020 01:52 PM

Where do i start?

I am out on the water and the engine cuts out.... took apart and checked the carburetor and fuel Is good. Cleaned up points they weren’t bad. Ran yesterday for 8 hours With acouple of shut downs be would start right up, then cut out after 8 hours would not restart... sat for 20 minutes ...it started but run rough in gear would draw rpms down but ran. Cleaned points and it ran well this morning ra for an hour and cut out. Was able to sail for an hour while i took carburetor apart And found nothing. Put back on started and ran for 30 minutes and cut out again. Will not start. Waiting to see it cooling off helps. BTW ..new coil last fall. Where do i look for connection and whatever that heat up and cause shut down?

Surcouf 07-30-2020 02:12 PM

Do you have a fuel pressure gage before the carburetor? That allows to rule out all fuel issues (tanks, filter, pump, air intake etc...)
Have you tried to open the fuel tank cap when the engine slows down? (tank vent plugged)

the others MVP will likely recommend much more

Administrator 07-30-2020 02:34 PM

Maybe this will help?

Bill

Dave Neptune 07-30-2020 02:35 PM

Since it restarts when cool I'd look at the coil AND the condenser as you have points. Either one can cause those symptoms. Doesn't sound fuel related from your description.

Dave Neptune :cool:

pknier 07-30-2020 03:03 PM

So far

Fuel cover loosened..will try new condensor and try again. Coil new last fall...one off of “the list”.

pknier 07-30-2020 04:20 PM

No joy

Put different condenser and coil in And no luck

JOHN COOKSON 07-30-2020 05:25 PM

ONE MORE POSSIBILITY

Wiring\switch.
Bypass the boat's wiring by running wire from the big cable connection on the back of the starter to the coil +. Or run a wire from the battery to coil + and see if the shutdowns go away.
Do not leave this wire connected and hot for more than a minute or two when the engine is not running or the coil will be fried.

Even though this problem sounds ignition related let's confirm by pulling the big wire out of the center of the distributor and holding it near the engine and check for spark while turning the engine the engine with the starter.* Do this immediately after a shutdown\no start before the problem cools off and starts working again.

* A remote start switch will facilitate this.

ex TRUE GRIT

Edit: Sometimes the insulation on the wire from coil - to the points gets worn away where the wire enters the distributor. Have a look see. These kind of problems will drive one nut-so. Been down this road.