X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • infy
    • May 2019

A little choke needed to start and run?

I need about 20% choke to start and run the engine. Even after completely warmed up. If the engine is hot (~180*) and I kill the choke the engine will stall. At nearly any throttle. So some choke is always necessary.

Thoughts?
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Your carb is clogged or otherwise running very lean.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• infy
      • May 2019

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
      Your carb is clogged or otherwise running very lean.
      Thanks. I thought that it could be an idle adjustment. Doesn't sound like it, eh?

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Not if it happens at full throttle too.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by infy View Post
          Thanks. I thought that it could be an idle adjustment. Doesn't sound like it, eh?
          Why not adjust the idle and find out? Gently seat the idle adjustment then back it out 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns. See what happens.
          As noted the idle adjustment will not affect high speed operation.
          Concur that the problem sounds like an air leak somewhere.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

I would pull the carb drain/main jet access plug and drain it into a clear container and see if you get some gunk come out with it. If you have a mechanical fuel pump, give it a few strokes to flush a few ounces of fuel into the container and see what you got..hopefully clean fuel with no hitchhikers.

You should need 100% choke to start a cold motor, but after a few minutes, zero choke for normal operation.

What fuel are you running? Corn laced (ethanol) or E-zero? How much fuel do you burn thru in a season? I do not like ethanol fuels sitting in these old carbs for extended periods..I have found them to leave yellow honey/gel like gunk in the innards if they sit. If you use your boat regularly, not as much of an issue.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• infy
              • May 2019

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
              You should need 100% choke to start a cold motor, but after a few minutes, zero choke for normal operation.
              Funny you mention that.. It takes a bit of cranking to start it. I've never got it to start with 100% choke. Or 0% choke... 20%-40% seems to be the sweet spot. WOn't start with throttle up.. seems to like throttle all the way down. So you can crank it at 100% throttle and get nothing... turn throttle all the way down and it starts coming to life.

Kill the choke and engine stalls.

Does sound carb related.

What fuel are you running?
              90 octane ethanol.

How much fuel do you burn thru in a season?
              Haven't done a season yet. Just drained the gas tank and put new fuel in from the automotive gas station.

So I've checked the lines, put on a new fuel filter, and the fuel pump seems to be fine.

Comment

Working...
              X