Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are the exact steps for removing an A4 out of a Catalina 30? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11119)

infy 06-11-2019 10:08 PM

What are the exact steps for removing an A4 out of a Catalina 30?

I was just out there today trying to lift the engine up.

I've removed the 3 bolts on the propshaft coupler and it should be released from the transmission...

I took the top bolts off all 4 engine mounts... the engine is free to lift up and I can budge it up by hand.

The engine mounts themselves are still bolted down since I think propshaft alignment with the replacement A4 will be easier if I drop the engine on to the old mounts already aligned.

But when I begin to lift the engine, it's pulling the propshaft up with it. The propshaft and engine just won't break free... I don't want to put too much pressure on the propshaft and bend it or harm the bearings..

Am I missing a step here? Does the engine need to slide forward first to clear something on the propshaft?

Any advice is welcome :)

ndutton 06-11-2019 10:17 PM

The shaft and coupling must be slid aft to clear the output coupler nut. Make sure you don't have a zinc on the shaft close to the strut that prevents enough aft movement.

infy 06-11-2019 10:36 PM

Thank you! That must be what I'm missing.

How do you slide the shaft aft while in the slip? I don't want to scar or damage anything.

ndutton 06-11-2019 10:43 PM

Push it aft with a little twisting motion. Don't forget to check the zinc (you'll have to go for a swim). If the coupling is rusted solid to the engine's output coupler it will have to be parted. NO HAMMERING!!!
http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...25&postcount=1

infy 06-11-2019 10:52 PM

Ehhhhh.... the PNW is a bit cold for that. I'll try pushing it aft and see if I can make any space.

I'm thinking it may also be possible to free the engine mount screws and slide the engine forward too?

Other option would be to hire a diver.. or a tow to a sling and get on the hard.

infy 06-11-2019 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a photo of the coupler before I took the bolts off.

ndutton 06-11-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infy (Post 117201)
I'm thinking it may also be possible to free the engine mount screws and slide the engine forward too?

You'll lose the current alignment you said you were trying to preserve.

joe_db 06-12-2019 06:55 AM

Unless the shaft is trapped by a zinc, it should come right off. I just pulled on mine.

infy 06-12-2019 04:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow this thing won't budge a millimeter. It will turn and rotate the transmission with it... but just won't give any at all.

Any ideas? Even if it was a zinc it would move at least a little, right?

One side of it already looks like someone took a screwdriver and a hammer to it before.

infy 06-12-2019 11:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
As Borat would say... great success. All you need is some pb blaster, a shank, and big hammer.

tenders 06-13-2019 08:44 AM

Maybe the moral of the story here is that you should disconnect the shaft first? I bet that would have come off without a second thought had you goosed the engine in reverse with the bolts out, perhaps with a zinc attached close to the packing gland so the prop didn't have much fore-and-aft play if it broke loose.

wristwister 06-13-2019 10:57 AM

Congratulations. I had the same problem with my coupling, although mine looked like a decomposing relic from an archaeological dig, not nice and clean like yours. I also resorted to violence, cussing, and a little bit of blood to get mine decoupled.

infy 06-13-2019 07:07 PM

I'm very surprised by how much the propshaft could move off axis while it remained attached to the engine.

I'm hoping this isn't a sign of a nightmare when I finally have it on a sling to wash and paint.... also hoping I didn't bend it or anything before realizing what was going on...

Going to try and finish the new engine install this weekend.

Worst of it will probably be getting the engine on the dock while in a slip and hanging from the halyard.