Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Polls (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   How many engines do you own? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92)

Administrator 11-12-2004 05:55 PM

How many engines do you own?

How many A4's do you own? Cast your vote in the poll above.

Be prepared to be shocked at the result!

dtinder 11-13-2004 10:08 AM

How many?

Let me see now----I've got one that works most of the time. One that works none of the time. Ten or twelve boxes of inoperable stuff that I refuse to throw away. Five or six boxes (coolers, cans, jars,etc) of stuff that is perfectly good that I know I'll need "someday". Several boxes from Moyer Marine--that have been opened---but the parts are on the "to do" list. I think there is a box on its way from Ken @ parts dept. My "want list" is only limited by credit line on my master card. And back in the corner--buried with 20hp china diesels--laydown Yanmars--upright Yanmars----and neat stuff--- is--I believe----an Atomic--2. Hmmmmm? What was the question again?
Dave--in Ft Myers

Will Jacocks 05-03-2011 09:30 PM

Got one that is in S/V Vamos, not working. Working on one I picked up from a guy in New Orleans a few weeks ago. Gonna get it running and swap out the 2 then rebuild the one in Vamos for a ready to drop in engine.

Will Jacocks 05-03-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtinder (Post 241)
Let me see now----I've got one that works most of the time. One that works none of the time. Ten or twelve boxes of inoperable stuff that I refuse to throw away. Five or six boxes (coolers, cans, jars,etc) of stuff that is perfectly good that I know I'll need "someday". Several boxes from Moyer Marine--that have been opened---but the parts are on the "to do" list. I think there is a box on its way from Ken @ parts dept. My "want list" is only limited by credit line on my master card. And back in the corner--buried with 20hp china diesels--laydown Yanmars--upright Yanmars----and neat stuff--- is--I believe----an Atomic--2. Hmmmmm? What was the question again?
Dave--in Ft Myers

You have an extra FWC system in all that stuff? :D

Mo 05-03-2011 09:48 PM

Two

I have two A-4's; One in the boat and one in the garage. Pics in my engine album of both engines. They both run great. Got the back-up engine for a song and dance when a friend converted to diesel. My spare has less hours than the one in the boat.:D

Edit: This spring picked up a good block (old style)....so 2 1/2

lat 64 05-03-2011 10:27 PM

I own just one for now. i wish I could get another for a little tug project I'm thinking of..:)

ndutton 05-03-2011 10:32 PM

I don't own my a-4, it owns me.

Dave Neptune 05-04-2011 08:59 AM

Companion

Ah, I have but one of the wonderful lil' beasties. It has been a faithful companion since I freed it's rotating parts with a big hammer 26 years ago. During the past 26 years she has started when I was ready to go except once:eek:! Two hours later when the parts house opened I bought a new filter assembly (the old one cracked) and was on my way a half hour later.

Dave Neptune:cool:

marthur 05-04-2011 10:29 AM

One in the boat--perfect runner. One being refurbished--it will be a ready to drop in spare. One hard case long block (crank shaft scored).

In fact, the block and castings on the "hard case" look pretty good. It's got a reduction gear (I have direct drive on the boat). If anyone has interest in swapping, I would consider trading / selling / buying some parts to get the parts I need to finish the refurb. Email me at zephyr4@earthlink.net

Mike

hanleyclifford 05-04-2011 10:43 AM

I've got 4 blocks and numerous parts - I might get 3 together if I went on a parts hunt.

pearson coyote 05-04-2011 03:31 PM

How many engines do you own

I only have 1, but I don't know if I should have more. What's the recommendation???:)

Mo 05-04-2011 03:36 PM

Spare parts on hand

Pearson Coyote:

One is good. The recommendations are to some spares aboard just as with any marine engine: ie) impeller; iginition parts; filters etc.

I happen to have a spare engine, BUT, it's not on the boat. It will be useless to me if my current one fails to run at sea.;)

Crash 05-04-2011 04:21 PM

Just one big rusty engine...but she runs. :D

thatch 05-04-2011 07:04 PM

"spares, spares, spares"

About 6 months after acquiring my Catalina 30, I found a rebuildable A4. I had plans to replace the "serviceable" motor in the boat with a really nice overhauled engine but have since changed my mind. My running A4 with good oil pressure and respectable compression readings has become the recepient of a rebuilt water pump, rebuilt carb, electronic converted distributor, and an overhauled starter, all courtesy of my #2 A4. Having a second engine has given me the time to "freshen" up duplicate parts at my leisure and install them on "my" schedual, not when an ailing A4 says so.
Tom

David Masury 05-05-2011 11:04 AM

At one point I had four... then I decided that with one running as well as it does I did not need the others and I found people who needed then either as spares or parts....

David

2dogsfishin 05-06-2011 06:53 AM

3 blocks +

I have 3 rebuildable blocks, 1 block to show what some folks will try, about 10 oil pans, 8 crankshafts, several cams, 2 heads, 2 manifolds, a bunch of alternators, starters and other stuff. Also a Palmer P-60, DD 3-53 and 3 100HP John-rudes.
Seven boats, none with an A4, but am saving one A4 to put in an Atkins skiff I want to build when I sell some of this stuff.
Please don't ask why I have 7 boats as I have to tell my wife this daily:confused:
I did not plan on working this hard at age 72, just want to go fishing, sailing or just cruise the bayou and check out the bikinis.:cool:
Tom

Jesse Delanoy 05-06-2011 11:09 AM

One at present. I have owned three in my life (if you include one on a boat technically owned by my dad many years ago).

Carl-T705 08-10-2013 10:28 PM

I have three running engines, plus three complete engines not running. 1965, 1967, 1971,2-1977s, 1979.

Al Schober 08-11-2013 08:00 PM

I voted two, but the one in the boat is current waiting for it's carb to come back from the cleaners. It will be running tomorrow - the carb is out on the table saw waiting for the paint to cure.
The engine in the basement is a spare - just in case the one in the boat develops a more serious issue than a dirty carb.
Early this season, I had a clogged main jet issue - would only run with the choke out. Cleared the jet by screwing in/out the adjustable needle (highly recommended)- back in business. Installed a new inline filter before the pump (Racor 120R-RAC-02, the 320 wouldn't fit) and a new B&S can between the pump and the carb. All was good until it clogged again - of course, I hadn't cleaned out the float bowl! Drained the float bowl and got quite a bit of crud, but brought it home for a good cleaning (and a paint job).
One of these days perhaps I'll get around to electronic ignition...

msauntry 08-11-2013 10:06 PM

Fair's fair.... How many does Moyer Marine have?

sastanley 08-11-2013 10:23 PM

Micah, excellent question!!!!!????:eek::cool:

Mo 08-11-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msauntry (Post 72013)
Fair's fair.... How many does Moyer Marine have?

I say as many as they will need. There is not a part that can't be had at this point. I have one question though. Are the new blocks being produced as good as the originals casted by Universal? Do they have the same metallurgical content?

I know one thing is for certain. A well maintained and used A4 is as dependable as walking out and starting you car in the driveway. Heating issues continue to arise and I think perhaps some thinking outside the box might be done on that.

Overall, I would take one over a light duty diesel due to their endurance factors...it stops when it runs out of gas when marginally maintained. The major draw back is fuel tank range.

There are allot of diesel engines around here that needed major work again this year and they cannot take fouled fuel or overheating at all...shut down is occurring and repairs are major expensive...

So far this year I advise about 10 people who loved a boat to buy it despite it having an A4...the only reason they were going to continue looking. The A4 is not a liability, range might be, but for the rest of it the A4 will perform as well and outlast the lightly built diesels. Diesels need to be big and heavy and there are not many family sized sailboats that have the room to put in a comfortable size one....marketing sets them up with inferior products. That said, I'd consider a Beta Marine 30 hp in mine...nothing less.

It is beyond me why someone hasn't designed and built a fuel injected inboard gas engine for a sailboat. Problem is that these days they want to make everything disposable....the A4 was never made disposable.

ndutton 08-11-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo (Post 72016)
It is beyond me why someone hasn't designed and built a fuel injected inboard gas engine for a sailboat.

It's because there's no market. The diesel snobs won the public relations war decades ago. Universal realized it in the early 80's.

"You insert the key, give it a turn and . . . BOOM!" They actually believe that tripe and have paid handsomely because of a false belief. Hallelujah brother!!

All of which is our good fortune. Our aged used boats are usually around $5K cheaper than their smelly sisters, they are cheaper to maintain, they are quieter and our engines are more powerful pound for pound. And don't forget the best benefit of all. If Universal continued manufacturing A-4's would there be an MMI?

I solved the range issue. My boat came with a 12 gallon tank. It still has the twelve but I added a 25 gallon tank for 37 gallons total. That's 200 - 250 NM one way totally under power if necessary. Looking at it another way, I could run the engine an hour a day for battery recharging for 49 days. It's 25 days +/- from here to Hawaii.

romantic comedy 08-13-2013 05:19 PM

Neil, I think t hat the Atomic Four was looked at as being disposable, by the sailboat manufacturers.

I have a bill of materials for my 74 Tartan 34. It cost $29,000, and the engine cost $654.00. This engine was just thrown into many boats. I think it was looked at as just a fast cheap way to sole the problem of mechanical propulsion.

I wonder what the ratio of boat cost to engine cost is now days.

ndutton 08-13-2013 06:17 PM

That may be true in some cases but the Catalina 30 interior was originally designed around the Atomic 4. That's why Catalina had so much trouble finding a powerful enough diesel that would fit the limited space when sales trends dictated diesels.