Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Polls (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Alarm, yes or no? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7176)

ndutton 03-24-2013 10:42 PM

Alarm, yes or no?

It's been sort of asked before and frankly had few replies. I'm hoping we can do better this time. The question: Do you have the oil/temp engine alarm system?

sastanley 03-24-2013 10:45 PM

Whoop whoop!

Neil..no, I do not...however, I am pretty anal about checking my gauges...probably because I do not have the alarm.

I am sure I'd be less anal if I had an alarm. I have the Moyer kit in my "to-do" folder when I have 'nothing else more important to work on' boat list.

Marian Claire 03-24-2013 10:51 PM

No alarms on the MC. I do have water temp and oil pressure gauges that are easy to see and read. Frequently glancing at them is just part of my routine. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Jimmy 03-25-2013 07:41 AM

Yes & No

Picked up the kit...installed the oil pressure portion......the temp portion is still on the to do list. I have a good line of sight at all gauges while at the helm. I use the alarm as a reminder to keep the key switched off.i keep the key stored in the switch while aboard. Only took a couple coils to realize the value.......
Jimmy

joe_db 03-25-2013 08:13 AM

I have yet to have the high temp or low oil pressure alarm go off for real, but they are a great reminder to turn the ignition off :cool:
I also have a CO alarm. I think these are a necessity for a boat where you will have people sleeping with the engine running.

Alarms I am going to add when I get a chance and spare $$$$:
1. Coolant flow
2. Exhaust temp
3. Low fuel pressure (maybe)

ndutton 03-25-2013 09:24 AM

You make a good point Joe. Although it's not directly intended to monitor the ignition, how many times have we heard stories about absentmindedly leaving the key on after the engine has stopped (for whatever reason) and destroying the coil? As you said, an alarm system would alert when the oil pressure dropped reminding the operator to turn off the key within seconds.

To Dan's comment, I watch my gauges diligently too but the alarm system adds another tier of monitoring for a very reasonable cost. It might be one of the best cost vs. benefit additions we can have on our engines.

The early poll numbers surprise me. I expected most of us had the alarm. The Newport 27's and 30's of the early 70's didn't even have an engine panel or gauges. They had an ignition switch and a fuel gauge inside the cabin and the alarm system for everything else. I'm not suggesting anyone should do this but instead showing an example of how common the alarm is - or was. As another example, listen across the marina as boats start their engines for a day on the water. Power or sail, diesel or gas, alarm squeal before the engine starts is as common as [insert favorite metaphor here]. Example #3: Alarms are standard equipment on all Yanmars, probably other brands too.

I know it's early in the poll but it's not what I expected, not at all.

Dave Neptune 03-25-2013 09:26 AM

It's personal

I am a mechanic by nature and "listen" to the engine whenever it's running. I seldom look at the gages after the beastie warms up. If the sound of the engine-exhaust changes I'll check the gages otherwise when all is well (most all of the time) I just enjoy the cruise:rolleyes:.
I like the simplicity of not having the alarms as far as wiring is concerned and if something is amiss and the buzzer is going, so will my temper and the buzzer is likely to be removed in a somewhat ripped out :eek: fashion, to get rid of the noise. Then I will begin the trouble shooting. I have had a few boats with alarms and I found that as I keep things in prety good shape by the time something fails the buzzer has failed to do its job. I also have worked on many a boat that the alarms were buzzing and nothing was wrong but the alarm system in an otherwise well maintained system. My primary reason still is simplicity especially in a small boat.
However if I am running a boat that is unfamiliar to me I would want the alarms on "HIS" boat for "my" convienience.

Dave Neptune :cool:

ndutton 03-25-2013 09:45 AM

Reading your post Dave I thought to myself, "Yeah, but how many Dave Neptunes are out there?" I already know you are a rarity (in a good way) but you answered it at the end with a chuckle, "Don't want it on MY boat but certainly want it on someone else's."

Kelly 03-25-2013 09:50 AM

No alarms here, just the oil pressure sensor wired into the fuel pump to help prevent "that" catastrophe.

I'm with Dave Neptune on this one. As long as I'm the one in charge of the boat, I'm pretty much hyper-sensitive to engine behaviour [sic. European influenced spelling]. A sort of biological alarm, you might say. If I were to loan my boat, however, I might consider installing alarms beforehand. Having easily read gages is a must, I believe.

ndutton 03-25-2013 10:06 AM

Kelly,

Just wait until you get older and your memory . . . . uh, where was I? Oh yeah, you'll reach a point where you can't remember if you zipped your pants.

Mo 03-25-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndutton (Post 65761)
Reading your post Dave I thought to myself, "Yeah, but how many Dave Neptunes are out there?" I already know you are a rarity (in a good way) but you answered it at the end with a chuckle, "Don't want it on MY boat but certainly want it on someone else's."

Right you are Neil,
When dealing with boats it's not just the engine they have to keep on top of. It's a whole new mind-set to look after a boat. We have to adapt a manner of thinking of what is likely to go wrong, what will wear, what's the life-span of parts and gear, AND how do I fix it and keep it up. Those that don't do that normally don't stay with it for very long.

roadnsky 03-25-2013 11:27 AM

Like others, my gauge cluster is good line-of-sight and I glance there often for peace of mind. (Sorta like using my mirrors while driving)
I'm also an "A4 Listener".

But the idea of an audible warning appeals to me as an added layer.
If nothing else, for the ignition/coil/EI protection factor.
Before I got the new MMI gauge panel with the cover, I was always concerned that a misplaced foot or knee would flip the ignition on, so I was constantly checking on it.
The cover has cured that worry.

Anyway, the alarm is on my wish list... :)

edwardc 03-25-2013 11:51 AM

My gauges are also easy line-of-sight, and I monitor them continuously.

But I also have a high-temp alarm, with the sensor mounted in the coolant outflow from the manifold. The setpoint is fixed pretty low at 200 degrees (my normal operating point is 180). I figure an overheat condition could escalate rapidly, and it would only take a few minutes of inattention to miss it without the alarm.

The only time I ever get a "nuisance" alarm is if I shut down the engine immediately after cruising in gear. The temp will rise to over 200, and the alarm will go off briefly when I restart. Simply running in neutral at idle for 1 min before shutting down (my normal practice) eliminates this.

Although I don't have a low oil pressure alarm, the Oil Pressure Safety Switch (OPSS) will shut down my electric fuel pump, which should kill the engine in the time it takes to empty the float bowl (30-60 sec?).

I have a friend who has alarms on everything, and he took great pains to insure that each one had a distinctive sound and could not be confused with any other one!

dvd 03-25-2013 01:14 PM

I just monitor my guages and listen to the engine. I have heard alarms going off on other boats that are just sitting in the slip. I was staying overnight a year or so ago at South Beach in SF Bay and this large brandnew ugly power boat thing had this high shrill alarm that was on all day and night. There were various mechanics crawling all over it to find out why but it still took til the next morning for the incessant noise to be shut down.

dvd

67c&ccorv 03-25-2013 02:43 PM

I have the oil pressure alarm system MMI sells and a AquaAlarm water flow alarm system mounted between the water pump inlet and water strainer outlet.

:)

toddster 03-25-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvd (Post 65779)
I just monitor my guages and listen to the engine. I have heard alarms going off on other boats that are just sitting in the slip. I was staying overnight a year or so ago at South Beach in SF Bay and this large brandnew ugly power boat thing had this high shrill alarm that was on all day and night. There were various mechanics crawling all over it to find out why but it still took til the next morning for the incessant noise to be shut down.

dvd

I went ahead and installed a light and buzzer for the sea talk "master alarm." Cause, like, there was a connector for it that I couldn't just leave open. Supposedly if any one individual alarm (e.g. depth, proximity, anchor, wind) gets ignored for a certain amount of time, the master alarm goes off. Then you have to figure out exactly why. It might be more useful if it tied in to Siri or something to provide more clues. Getting engine data into the network might be more trouble than it's worth though.

ndutton 03-25-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

I was staying overnight a year or so ago at South Beach in SF Bay and this large brand new ugly power boat thing had this high shrill alarm that was on all day and night. There were various mechanics crawling all over it to find out why but it still took til the next morning for the incessant noise to be shut down.

I think there might be a chance that without the irritating alarm Skippy the ugly powerboat captain would have cast off and poured the coals to her oblivious of any problem. It's possible this sort of captain needs such an alarm.

I'm in no way suggesting the description applies to anyone around here.

yeahjohn 03-25-2013 07:26 PM

I'm have thought about installing one... considering my oil pressure sits at 20 and I cruise at around 1300rpm. I think my alarm would always sound.

ndutton 03-25-2013 07:38 PM

John,

The oil pressure trip point on the Cole-Hersee alarm system (the Moyer product as well) is 2 - 6 PSI.

Mo 03-25-2013 07:40 PM

Yeahjohn,
Have you tried to adjust the oil pressure up? There's a chance you just need an adjustment.

Read this link: http://www.moyermarine.com//forums/s...ure+adjustment

romantic comedy 03-25-2013 10:15 PM

What about a water pressure alarm.

I have wondered about this. Do people use them? If a hose breaks or the engine loses water, what happens?

I dont use any alarms. Maybe I should. I have had all sorts of gauges on my cars, but never had a failure. As a mechanic, there are so few times when an alarm could have helped an engine failure.

I have a water temp gauge, and an oil pressure gauge mounted in plain sight, on the aft cabin. I dont get the point of the panels mounted down low. You cant see the gauges.

Maybe I will hook up an oil pressure alarm after I rebuild the engine. It is sure to fail then.

joe_db 03-26-2013 09:46 AM

There are water FLOW alarms available. I would think that more useful than coolant pressure.
Under power I am usually on autopilot and the gauges are not in my line of sight, so I like the alarms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by romantic comedy (Post 65802)
What about a water pressure alarm.

I have wondered about this. Do people use them? If a hose breaks or the engine loses water, what happens?

I dont use any alarms. Maybe I should. I have had all sorts of gauges on my cars, but never had a failure. As a mechanic, there are so few times when an alarm could have helped an engine failure.

I have a water temp gauge, and an oil pressure gauge mounted in plain sight, on the aft cabin. I dont get the point of the panels mounted down low. You cant see the gauges.

Maybe I will hook up an oil pressure alarm after I rebuild the engine. It is sure to fail then.

PT26 03-26-2013 10:59 AM

No alarms on PT26 just the gauges.
We do use the oil pressure safety switch that also shuts off the fuel pump.
Over time I have learned all the noises and listen for anything new... Nothing like a new noise followed by what the heck was that!
An alarm system would be nice to have though, I have caught myself saying "what was I doing" :rolleyes:
I am adding this to the - things I want to work on over summer list :)

HOTFLASH 03-27-2013 02:22 PM

Just in case

I added mine, procured from MM, when I overhauled my engine. I still look at my gauges, but a guest helmsperson may not.
Mary

ILikeRust 03-30-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Nothing a little pair of wire snips wouldn't cure. :rolleyes:

Gotta wonder why they let it scream so long - pull the damn fuse or something!