Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cooling System (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Gushing water near grease cup (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11036)

Mattlurzo 03-31-2019 11:43 AM

Gushing water near grease cup

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go again. I'm very new to this engine and engines in general, but I'm trying to learn. So far everyone here has been so helpful. Thank you!

I went out yesterday and after reinstalling the thermostat, replacing the spark plugs, etc, the engine started right up. After checking for leaks, I found this :eek:

There is a steady stream of water coming from just forward of the grease cup. I've attached a picture from the video I took. You might be able to view the video here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f6M...ew?usp=sharing

Any insights and help would be very appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt

1975 Sabre 28

ndutton 03-31-2019 12:03 PM

The only source of water in that area is from the pump body itself and is making its way out via either a damaged shaft seal or a freeze crack. If the budget allows this would be a great time to consider a new MMI 502 flange pump.
https://moyermarine.com/product/mmi-...p-csob_00_365/
You'd better check you oil for water contamination too.

Mattlurzo 03-31-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndutton (Post 116167)
The only source of water in that area is from the pump body itself and is making its way out via either a damaged shaft seal or a freeze crack. If the budget allows this would be a great time to consider a new MMI 502 flange pump.
https://moyermarine.com/product/mmi-...p-csob_00_365/
You'd better check you oil for water contamination too.

Wow that's not the best news. The engine was winterized, but I was still worried about freezing because we had a few ridiculously cold days this winter.

When I feel back there, it feels like there's an opening where the water comes out that is an actual opening and not a crack. Does that make any sense? Is there an opening right there?

ndutton 03-31-2019 12:26 PM

Yes, the Oberdorfer 202M, the pump you have, has an opening in the casting on the bottom for the specific purpose of letting errant water out. There shouldn't be any water in that area to begin with.

If the pump housing is not cracked, the 202M can be rebuilt up to a point. The time will come that the impeller cavity is so worn that pump performance will fall off at which point you'll be buying a replacement anyway. Like I said, you can get out ahead of future repairs by replacing now.

Mattlurzo 03-31-2019 01:43 PM

I'll try to take out the old one and buy the new one. I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere about this, but can you tell me, is it just those two bolts to remove it, along with what looks like two connections to the water?

Those bolts seem like they might be difficult to get to. it was hard enough just getting the camera back there. But I also see on my video that there's some kind of create-a-gasket residue on it, so it has been done before. If there's a trick to it besides a wrench, some PB Blaster, and brute strength, I'm interested to know!

Thanks so much for your help!

ndutton 03-31-2019 02:10 PM

Two bolts and two hoses, that's it. While your credit card is handy, consider MMI's extendo-bolt that was specifically designed to remedy the poor access of the bottom bolt.
https://moyermarine.com/product/lowe...lt-csob_10_89/

We have a saying around here, do it right and cry once. The money you spend now will pay dividends in the future.

roadnsky 03-31-2019 02:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattlurzo (Post 116171)
I'll try to take out the old one and buy the new one. I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere about this, but can you tell me, is it just those two bolts to remove it, along with what looks like two connections to the water?

Those bolts seem like they might be difficult to get to. it was hard enough just getting the camera back there.

Yep, just the two bolts.
The lower one is notorious for being hard to get at.
Because of that, many of us have the Lower Extended Bolt sold here by our host.

EDIT: Neil was faster on the draw...

Mattlurzo 03-31-2019 03:24 PM

EDIT: Neil was faster on the draw...[/QUOTE]

You had pics! You guys were both so helpful! This is the best community. I'm lucky to be a part of it.

Cheers fellas

Mattlurzo 04-01-2019 11:43 AM

Last question

I ordered the new one and the long bolt. Does anyone know the size of the bolts to attach it? I'm going to order a socket extender to get at the lower bolt.

Thanks again for all the help!

JOHN COOKSON 04-01-2019 05:10 PM

Remove the upper bolt first. If the lower bolt is not to tight you will be able to swing the pump outward, away from the engine, and have more access\ visibility to the lower bolt.
For the install I cut the head off a 3" bolt, hand tightened the resulting stud into the lower hole, slid the pump and gasket on it, then installed the upper bold and tightened it down tight enough so the pump would stay put, then removed the stud and start the lower bolt, then loosen both bolts and torque down evenly.
Happy wrenching.

TRUE GRIT

Mattlurzo 04-03-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN COOKSON (Post 116198)
Remove the upper bolt first. If the lower bolt is not to tight you will be able to swing the pump outward, away from the engine, and have more access\ visibility to the lower bolt.
For the install I cut the head off a 3" bolt, hand tightened the resulting stud into the lower hole, slid the pump and gasket on it, then installed the upper bold and tightened it down tight enough so the pump would stay put, then removed the stud and start the lower bolt, then loosen both bolts and torque down evenly.
Happy wrenching.

TRUE GRIT

Thanks! That's great advice!

goodoldboat 04-03-2019 07:56 PM

water pump replacement

Santa brought me the new MM flange pump for Christmas , waiting for Spring to get to CT , so I can do the install .

I spayed PB blaster on the lower and upper bolts and both water hoses last week .

I had an idea to run engine to to temp prior to heat every thing up prior to removal ?

Good idea or bad ?

John +1 on the 3 inch bolt .. Good install tip .

tenders 04-04-2019 07:31 AM

Heating up the engine probably isn't necessary; those bolts aren't typically frozen in place the way exhaust fasteners can be. They yield to reasonable force once you get a grip on them - it's just that getting the grip on the lower one is the hard part.

Mattlurzo 04-04-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodoldboat (Post 116219)
Santa brought me the new MM flange pump for Christmas , waiting for Spring to get to CT , so I can do the install .

I spayed PB blaster on the lower and upper bolts and both water hoses last week .

I had an idea to run engine to to temp prior to heat every thing up prior to removal ?

Good idea or bad ?

John +1 on the 3 inch bolt .. Good install tip .

I'm not sure if your instructions came with this info, but mine had a small slip included that said to hand tighten the bolts and then run the engine for a minute to let the part settle into the correct position, turn off the engine and then finish tightening the bolts.

goodoldboat 04-04-2019 12:17 PM

water pump install

I Dont rember seeing that , will recheck the box , thanks for the tip ..

I am not sure of the Bolt size .. but I am hoping the socket extender will do the trick .

JOHN COOKSON 04-04-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodoldboat (Post 116225)
I am not sure of the Bolt size .. but I am hoping the socket extender will do the trick .

A 3/8 socket on a short extension works for me on the lower bolt. I go buy feel. It's easy for me because I've done it many times. I can see how it could be a bit challenging if you have never loosened the lower water pump bolt.

Hint: Put the socket on the extension and go by feel until the socket is on the bolt then click the racket into the extension and twist. Works for the install also.

TRUE GRIT

goodoldboat 04-04-2019 03:03 PM

gasket

I was just thinking about the remaining gasket material that may or not be adhered to the engine block ...

what is the best way to remove the remaining material , I am thinking that this Pump is on the engine since 1977 ..

JOHN COOKSON 04-04-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodoldboat (Post 116227)
I was just thinking about the remaining gasket material that may or not be adhered to the engine block ...
what is the best way to remove the remaining material , I am thinking that this Pump is on the engine since 1977 ..

Very carefully.

I don't think you will have a problem. If you do have to scrape first try something softer than brass to scrape with; maybe a plastic or wood wedge. If there is any thin film left acetone on a green 3M pad might work.

TRUE GRIT

Edit: The engine is steel so you can be a bit rougher with it if any gasket is stuck to it.

Mattlurzo 04-05-2019 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodoldboat (Post 116225)
I Dont remember seeing that , will recheck the box , thanks for the tip ..

Here are the extra instructions I found in the box, just in case you don't have it.

goodoldboat 04-15-2019 11:04 AM

water pump install

Both upper and lower pump bolts are frozen really well , I sprayed with PB
Blaster and will let them sit for 48 hours .

I will go down and try again on Wednesday and bring a a torch if i need it .

I think that lower unit extension bolt is in my future MMI order .

JOHN COOKSON 04-15-2019 03:14 PM

Tap on the bolts after you spray them with PB Blaster.

TRUE GRIT

goodoldboat 04-16-2019 11:29 AM

water pump replacement

Good Tip thanks ... i will let you know ...

I think the pump has been leaking slowly for a while .. the lower bolt is pretty corroded ..

Not enough that any water accumulated , but enough to form rust .