Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Maintenance (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Dipstick oil draining (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9497)

JimG 03-20-2016 03:07 PM

Dipstick oil draining

I've always threaded a small plastic tube down my dipstick to pull out old oil, but the process is pretty slow. I recently discovered on my other boat, that the Yanmar dipstick goes right to the bottom of the sump and I can just connect a larger hose to the dipstick itself, and extract all the oil quickly. I use one of those hand pumped vacuum oil removers, and the differences is 10-15 minutes versus 30 seconds.

Anyone know if the same trick works for an A4 (late model)?

JOHN COOKSON 03-21-2016 02:22 AM

I use a length of aluminum tubing down the dipstick hole with an "X" cut across the bottom for easy flow. If you use a soft plastic tube it can bend around inside trany sort of in a "U"and you will not get as much oil pumped out as possible.

TRUE GRIT

Ajax 03-21-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN COOKSON (Post 97949)
I use a length of aluminum tubing down the dipstick hole with an "X" cut across the bottom for easy flow. If you use a soft plastic tube it can bend around inside trany sort of in a "U"and you will not get as much oil pumped out as possible.

TRUE GRIT

John-

How many quarts do you usually manage to extract?

JOHN COOKSON 03-21-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax (Post 97954)
John-
How many quarts do you usually manage to extract?

~3 1/2 quarts. Maybe a little less. I can guestimate because I pump the oil out into a gallon plastic jug.*
I tape the aluminum tube to the trany shift lever once I find the "sweet spot" in the trany so the tube stays put and doesn't hop around. Then I pump with my hand pump until I see bubbles in the tubing that goes to the pump. Then I yank the aluminum tube out of the dipstick hole, and while holding a paper towel around the end, get it into the gallon jug and the whole assembly up to the cockpit or on the dock.

TRUE GRIT

*Put the gallon jug in a mop bucket so it doesn't tip over. Guess how I found out.

zellerj 03-21-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimG (Post 97941)
I've always threaded a small plastic tube down my dipstick to pull out old oil, but the process is pretty slow. I recently discovered on my other boat, that the Yanmar dipstick goes right to the bottom of the sump and I can just connect a larger hose to the dipstick itself, and extract all the oil quickly. I use one of those hand pumped vacuum oil removers, and the differences is 10-15 minutes versus 30 seconds.

Anyone know if the same trick works for an A4 (late model)?

I have never heard of that trick used with an atomic 4, and since this esteemed group has tried and reported on almost everything, I doubt if it will work. I also use a vacuum oil extractor (topsider), and I found shortening the plastic tubing as much as possible speeds things up.

BadaBing 03-21-2016 09:55 PM

Running the engine ip to opperating temp, thinning the oil in the process, also helps speed the process. Plus, when you inevitably drop something in the okld.okl and need to stick your hand in it to recover the lost thing, its such a nice feeling.

ndutton 03-21-2016 10:03 PM

Do none of you have access to the oil plug below the carburetor? It's 3/4" NPT and a 3/4" 12 point socket fits the square head perfectly. Through it you have a straight shot to the bottom of the oil pan and can fit a decent size pickup tube.

romantic comedy 03-21-2016 10:47 PM

Hanley, I do, I do!! That is what I use.

I use a small hand pump. I am not sure for this year, because the rats ate everything on the boat. See about the pump.

JOHN COOKSON 03-22-2016 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndutton (Post 97975)
Do none of you have access to the oil plug below the carburetor? It's 3/4" NPT and a 3/4" 12 point socket fits the square head perfectly.

Wish I could get at the oil plug you mentioned.
The engine bed in particular and engine access in general on my Catalina 27 was designed by a naval architect that didn't like his (or her) job.

TRUE GRIT

ndutton 03-22-2016 07:29 AM

Yeah, I know the Catalina 27 is tough. Next time you have the carburetor off you might consider installing this kit from our host:
http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/s...key=KTAS_05_90

tenders 03-22-2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romantic comedy (Post 97976)
I am not sure for this year, because the rats ate everything on the boat.

Wait, what? Don't the noxious gas vapors surrounding the A4 kill nearby rodentia?

JOHN COOKSON 03-22-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romantic comedy (Post 97976)
I use a small hand pump. I am not sure for this year, because the rats ate everything on the boat. See about the pump.

RC
How did the rats get on the boat? (Gross) Do you use rat guards on your dock lines?

TRUE GRIT

Vermonstah 03-22-2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndutton (Post 97980)
Yeah, I know the Catalina 27 is tough. Next time you have the carburetor off you might consider installing this kit from our host:
http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/s...key=KTAS_05_90

+ 1 for Moyer's oil change kit

First few times I changed the oil, I made a complete mess of it. Now with the Moyer kit, hardly spill a drop.

BadaBing 03-22-2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Do none of you have access to the oil plug below the carburetor? It's 3/4" NPT and a 3/4" 12 point socket fits the square head perfectly. Through it you have a straight shot to the bottom of the oil pan and can fit a decent size pickup tube.

On aTartan30 the engine sits at a good angle.leaning back,, not sure how typical this might be for other boat types. Will that oil plug allow.the draining from.the back portion of the pan?

romantic comedy 03-22-2016 09:59 PM

True Grit,

I dont use rat guards, what ever they are. I am sure that the rats got aboard the same way as the lizards, roaches, snakes, crabs, and ants.

I had one 10 years ago and I used poison. It worked quickly and I found him in the bilge, dead. This time, it was worse. The rats ate all sorts of things, including a full antifreeze jug and anchor line.

I used poison again. One dead rat I found in the chain locker, and the other 2 were in the bilge. They head for water after the poison.

Then I smelled a rat, a dead one, that I could not find. I took 3 truckloads of stuff from the boat and hosed the interior. I never found the extra rat, but got the boat cleaned. It smelled for about 2 months, and now it is back to normal.

Now I will keep glue and snap traps aboard. No more rat poison. Just roach poison.

ndutton 03-22-2016 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadaBing (Post 97990)
On a Tartan 30 the engine sits at a good angle leaning back, not sure how typical this might be for other boat types. Will that oil plug allow the draining from the back portion of the pan?

The maximum installation angle for the Atomic 4 is 15° and not coincidentally the angle of the oil pan bottom from the oil pump to the output coupling is level at the maximum 15° mounting angle so yes, you should still be able to draw out the oil efficiently.

JOHN COOKSON 03-23-2016 01:37 AM

RC
Rat guards are shield like devices that go around lines. Search the internet by "rat guards". There are many kinds of them out there. They will keep the critters from climbing up the dock lines onto the boat.
You can use a product called tangle foot to keep the ants from climbing up the dock lines.

TRUE GRIT

Ajax 03-23-2016 07:06 AM

Quote:

That's how I've been doing it. With a little fiddling, I can draw 4 solid quarts out of the engine.

ndutton 03-23-2016 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As long as we are talking about the port intended for oil extraction, Thatch has a clever enhancement for the threaded plug, a rare earth magnet extended to the bottom of the crankcase.

BadaBing 03-23-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndutton (Post 98010)
As long as we are talking about the port intended for oil extraction, Thatch has a clever enhancement for the threaded plug, a rare earth magnet extended to the bottom of the crankcase.

Great Idea
We should nominate Thach for some sort of an award.
Where did he purchase the magnet?

sastanley 03-23-2016 04:09 PM

I waited for it to go on sale and bought the West Marine oil extractor (and there are lots of others available). It builds up a vacuum with a few pumps, then you crack a beer and just babysit the tube in the hole with your free hand.

I got this on one of their Friday e-mail sales for about $40. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...6-5l--11047123

One of my best boat investments, ever.

ndutton 03-23-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadaBing (Post 98013)
Great Idea
We should nominate Thatch for some sort of an award.
Where did he purchase the magnet?

Thatch has quite a few very cool innovations/improvements. It's part of why he is so highly regarded around here. As for his magnet source, it's best if he provides that info himself. My guess is probably All Electronics, one of his favorite candy stores.