Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Polls (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Do you have a two or three blade prop, and does it fold, feather? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3423)

Delphis 06-25-2009 06:33 PM

Do you have a two or three blade prop, and does it fold, feather?

Looking for input on changing my propeller to the indigo three blade, a feathering prop, or a folding prop, wanted any input on the subject if you have time.

Cheers!

Dave Neptune 06-25-2009 06:44 PM

prop

Luv my Indigo, works well and I can back up.

Dave Neptune
E-35MkII 1970 original A-4 still ticking:cool:

Delphis 06-25-2009 07:04 PM

Thanks for the response Dave!

I have had isssues with the reverse thing if I get going too fast (lack of control) looks like the Indigo takes care of a bit of that...

Cheers!

gcorbus 06-25-2009 07:32 PM

Picked up nearly 1/2 knot in sailing speed when I went from 3 blade fixed to 2 blade folding several yrs ago. Backing up is not great, lots of prop walk to port, but going fast forward is what I was interested in.

baileyem 06-25-2009 07:34 PM

Indigo Prop

My works very well. The A4 performrs better at higher RPM. I can stop more quickly, and back up better.......controlling my direction when backing up is still a problem, but not the fault of the prop.

Mike
A4 in a 1966 Pearson Coaster, 'Nimue'.

Dave O 06-25-2009 08:14 PM

Here is a post I made June 1.

Here is a quick update on the results of installing an Indigo 3 blade prop on my C&C 29 Mark I. The principal reason for doing so was to improve handling near the dock ... esp. backing up with all the associated prop. walk problems. I installed the Indigo last fall after haul out and have left the slip 7or 8 times so far this spring.

With the new prop I can reverse much more strongly (without cavitation) than with the original 2 blade OEM. The increased thrust gives me better control and steerage in reverse. The new prop also reduces prop walk, so I can reverse the boat quite forcefully in pretty much a straight line.

Once the boat in underway (in forward) vibration is noticeably reduced. The boat runs smoother and in a sense more forcefully. So that is an added plus I was not looking for but am glad to get.

The only downside is that I can back up with much more speed leaving the dock and that takes some getting used to. Instead of creeping out of the slip at very low speed to reduce prop walk I can almost shoot out of the slip. If I have the wheel turned too sharply to port or starboard, and do not react quickly to the speed, the boat can almost do a complete circle which is amusing to everyone watching but not great for my peace of mind.

All in I think the Indigo was a good investment for the price.

Dave
C&C 29 Mark I
Port Credit, ON

dvd 06-25-2009 09:34 PM

I installed a 2 blade martec on my cal 3-30 with an A-4 and it made a big difference. I am winning beer can races all the time now. (I also put an new fast bottom on her at the same time) If you want to sail your boat alot its the only way to go. They are a little pricey but the martec is the only financially sane option if you dont want drag while sailing. I purchased mine from Martec and it was about $800.00. I think you can spend over $3000.00 for a high tech feathering prop but if you have a boat with an A-4 something like that would not be worth it. If I had to do over again I would buy the martec again in a hearbeat.

DVD

Mark Millbauer 06-26-2009 07:29 AM

I have a two bladed Gori folding prop on my Cat 27. It works great! Lots of power in forward and I have had no problems in reverse.

Mark
C27 "Solution"

JimG 06-26-2009 09:39 AM

I motor less than 5% of my time on the water and use reverse 1% of that time. My folding two bladed Martec is a big physiological boost for club racing and manages reverse thrust well enough to get out of the slip and stop on arrival home...

sastanley 06-26-2009 11:06 AM

DVD, & JimG,

What is the diameter & pitch of your Martecs?

My stepfather has one on his Tartan 3000 and loves it...it is really a necessity for racing.

For my own boat, I won't be racing, and having used the Tartan for many years, I have learned the handling characteristics of the folding prop, so I don't worry about the backing up so much. Even though this is a cruising boat, I would like to improve sailing performance as much as I can, and would also like to improve the motoring performance (in forward) if possible.

I am currently stuck between the Indigo & Martec. I have read some reviews that the Indigo has only slightly more surface area (negligible increase in drag while sailing in theory) than my standard OEM two-blade, but dramatically improves motoring performance. However, if I go to something like a 12" x 6" Martec, which I am pretty sure is the recommendation for the Catalina 30, wouldn't the reduced pitch also improve the motoring performance similar to the Indigo over my OEM prop?

There is a 12" x 5" Martec on E-bay right now for $200!! I might snag that up if someone told me going to a 5" pitch was still OK. (In reality, the shaft diameter is not provided in the listing, so I'd have to do a little more research before purchase...)

edit - Hey delphis....Are there any more options that you can add in your poll? I am curious if anyone has the urethane CDI prop??

ghaegele 06-26-2009 12:14 PM

We switched from a two blade to the three blade indigo prop a few years ago on our C&C35 MKII. I love the control in reverse and it operates at cruising speed at about 2000 rmp, which is about 80% of full throttle and gives me that reserve when conditions are bad. Also smoother than the 2 blade.

I have never been able to duplicate the 1 kt speed increase people claim with a feathering prop (by comparing speed between freewheeling prop and prop stopped in gear) so I am dubious that there is really such a benefit. In any event, we mainly cruise, so it doesn't make that much difference anyway.

Delphis 06-26-2009 01:25 PM

Poll Edit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sastanley (Post 15311)
DVD, & JimG,

What is the diameter & pitch of your Martecs?

My stepfather has one on his Tartan 3000 and loves it...it is really a necessity for racing.

For my own boat, I won't be racing, and having used the Tartan for many years, I have learned the handling characteristics of the folding prop, so I don't worry about the backing up so much. Even though this is a cruising boat, I would like to improve sailing performance as much as I can, and would also like to improve the motoring performance (in forward) if possible.

I am currently stuck between the Indigo & Martec. I have read some reviews that the Indigo has only slightly more surface area (negligible increase in drag while sailing in theory) than my standard OEM two-blade, but dramatically improves motoring performance. However, if I go to something like a 12" x 6" Martec, which I am pretty sure is the recommendation for the Catalina 30, wouldn't the reduced pitch also improve the motoring performance similar to the Indigo over my OEM prop?

There is a 12" x 5" Martec on E-bay right now for $200!! I might snag that up if someone told me going to a 5" pitch was still OK. (In reality, the shaft diameter is not provided in the listing, so I'd have to do a little more research before purchase...)

edit - Hey delphis....Are there any more options that you can add in your poll? I am curious if anyone has the urethane CDI prop??

Not sure I can edit a poll? Maybe an admin can post the procedure?

Thanks!

dvd 06-27-2009 12:05 PM

My cal 3-30 has a 2 to 1 reduction and the fixed 2 blade prop was the exact same size and pitch as the new martec folder. Mine is a 16/10 which is what was recommended by martec. I guess with the reduction a larger prop is needed. I would call martec directly and they will recommend the right size and pitch for your set up. If you don't have a reduction the prop size will be smaller. Diesels dont have reduction as they have more torque, so they usually call for a smaller prop usually with more pitch. Dont just put some random used folder on your boat unless your sure it is the exact right size. My folder works fine in forward and reverse and I dont seem to realize any difference between the fixed 2 blade I took off and the new 2 blade folder while motoring. I dont motor around much so I guess if you motor all the time and rarely sail a 3 blade fixed would be better. The sailing benefits/differences between a fixed blade prop and a folder can be rather subtle. An increase of sailing speed of .25 to .50 (maybe a little more) may not seem like a big deal when we are sitting here talking about it but that a huge increase when sailing for any distance in a race. In concluding I would pay the price again for my new martec folder. Once again just call martec and tell them what you have and they can dial it right in for you. Good Luck with it.

DVD

sastanley 06-28-2009 10:21 PM

DVD, Thanks for your insight. My inclination right now is to save up some boat bucks for a Martec!! :cool:

vabiker23518 07-08-2009 04:04 PM

2 blade

My Columbia 8.7 has one of those plastic 2 blade props. It runs in forward well enough, but reverse is terrible. Will stop the boat but where it goes is totally up to the boat. Next pull, I plan to install a 3 blade Indigo. I don't race and would like the extra control around the slip.

67c&ccorv 07-08-2009 11:10 PM

Bought the Indigo 3-blade for my Corvette but I won't be in the water until July 22/09.

I will post any noticable differences with the new prop.:)

sastanley 07-09-2009 01:05 PM

Can you snap some pics of it installed on the boat? pics are always good!

msmith10 07-20-2009 02:07 PM

My c&c 30 came (used) with both the factory standard 11x7 fixed 2 blade prop and a Martec 12x5 folding (both factory recommended sizes and pitch for this boat). I have A4 direct drive. For the first 2 years I used the Martec which the po had been using, probably for several years. I was unhappy with the vibration and switched to the fixed prop. I used the fixed for several years then changed back this year, wondering if I'd get better sailing performance. Before reinstalling the Martec, I sent it to them for refurb. I have noticed the following:
1. The prop is definitely smoother after refurb. Not as smooth as the fixed prop, but acceptable and much better than before.
2. I get a little higher rpm out of the Martec, presumably due to its lower pitch, maybe less efficiency. This is a plus.
3. I can't tell much difference in performance between the 2 props, but I don't use reverse for anything other than backing about 1-1/2 boat lengths out of my slip or slowing to a mooring ball. Reverse is certainly acceptable with the Martec. I can't tell much difference in a chop, but when it's really wavy, I sail, and if I really needed power in a chop or current, I'd try the Indigo, not either of my current props.
4. I really can't tell about sailing performance. Too many variables. We've had an unusually windy summer on Lake Erie, so I've done little light air sailing this year, which is where the folder should make a difference. The Martec only cost me 2 seconds per mile on my PHRF rating.

All in all, I'm happy with the refurbed Martec and will leave it on unless I'm planning a long trip upriver (Detroit and St Clair Rivers where current can hit 3 knots or more for short distances) in which case I'll switch to the Indigo. If you do buy a used Martec, or have an older one, I'd definitely recommend spending the $250 or so to have it factory refurbed.

67c&ccorv 07-25-2009 09:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sastanley (Post 15617)
Can you snap some pics of it installed on the boat? pics are always good!

Here you go...and thank you Indigo for much improved slow speed handling (especially in reverse) and turbine smoothness while motoring!

What a difference (I don't care if I lose a knot while sailing...I need to be able to handle the boat to the dock and in those places and conditions where the sail is impractible)!:D

PS - forgot to mention we seemed to have left the "marbles in a tin can" (cavitation noise) at last seasons berth.

Rick_Powers 07-28-2009 10:57 AM

2 blade, plenty of power

1 Attachment(s)
On a Catalina 27, I have a simple 2 blade prop.

With my now well running Atomic-4 engine, I regularly do over 6 mph (gps) at 2000 rpm. I have another 200 rpm to spare if I need extra power.

Reverse is fine, just allow for some prop-walk, then coast and correct.

rigspelt 08-03-2009 08:46 PM

Now that we're in the water and sailing, I'm getting a feel for the OEM two-bladed prop that came with this C&C 27. I don't have enough experience with it yet cruising in various weather to comment on that, but in the marina it works great, forward and reverse. Able to back into our slip fairly comfortably.

sastanley 08-04-2009 10:19 AM

rigs,

I am feeling the same thing. For 85% of our motoring (when there is little or no wind!), the standard two-blade is fine. I am not so sure I am ready to carry around a 3-blade prop for that 10-15% of times when I would wish I had a little more punch. I'll just sail!

hanleyclifford 08-13-2010 09:04 PM

Not sure why this came back up on the screen but I noticed something interesting. The two blade prop still seems to be the popular choice notwithstanding all the ballyhoo about the Indigo which even combined with 3 blade prop "other" does not outpoll the two blader. I guess this means the respondents are mostly the sailing purists who use the engine only where necessary. I feel like the powerboater with a sailboat:eek:. I like the 13x13 3 blade powerboat prop. I'd run a 4 blader if I could get one cheap. BTW more blades run truer and are more forgiving of misalignment.:p

Trysail 08-14-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanleyclifford (Post 25667)
Not sure why this came back up on the screen but I noticed something interesting. The two blade prop still seems to be the popular choice notwithstanding all the ballyhoo about the Indigo which even combined with 3 blade prop "other" does not outpoll the two blader. I guess this means the respondents are mostly the sailing purists who use the engine only where necessary. I feel like the powerboater with a sailboat:eek:. I like the 13x13 3 blade powerboat prop. I'd run a 4 blader if I could get one cheap. BTW more blades run truer and are more forgiving of misalignment.:p

I think the reason there are so many two blades out there is because they where the original equipment.
I like my three blade because I don't race and I sometimes dock in unfamiliar places. Less prop walk and better stopping are important to me.
Current can be strong and tricky where I do my weekend cruising.
Even picking up a mooring can be a "fun" when single handing with a fresh breeze blowing against the current.
The Indigo three blade helps.

sastanley 08-16-2010 12:55 PM

I need to modify my poll choice...I could give the Indigo another vote and the two-blade one less vote :D, & I agree with Trysail that the two blade is widespread because of its OEM nature.

It is funny how much my view of the Indigo changed from my August 2009 post, but so far it is great! :rolleyes: