Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Maintenance (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sediment bowl (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10783)

mattlamb 07-01-2018 05:19 PM

Sediment bowl

Hi, working on the atomic engine, sediment bowl clips are stuck /rusty.. I dont want to break it so can somone wnlighteen me , does it unscrew or is it sprung loaded,

Thanks!

Dave Neptune 07-02-2018 01:46 PM

First unscrew the knob at the bottom. That will release the clamping pressure and the arm will swing out of the way. May need to soak the "knob screw" for a bit as they can get sticky.

Dave Neptune :cool:

Dave Neptune 07-02-2018 01:47 PM

Matt, didn't notice so welcome to the MMI Afourian Forum.

Dave Neptune :cool:

Al Schober 07-02-2018 05:17 PM

Hi Matt,
Welcome to the forum - hope we can help.
The bottom of the bail has a threaded stud that sticks up towards the bowl, and carried the piece that secures the bowl. This piece has a finger wheel on it which 'might' turn without breaking off the stud. If it doesn't turn easily, pry the upper ends of the bail out of the pump body - you'll then be able to soak it in a penetrant to loosen it up.
Many of us have changed to electric fuel pumps which don't use the settling bowl. The bowl is not needed, and is just a source for a leak (not uncommon). The settling bowl is just steel, it corrodes, and makes getting a good seal rather 'iffy'. Gas leaks are not good.

capnward 07-03-2018 04:19 AM

Al is right; it is tricky getting a good seal on the sediment bowl, but it can be done. A fresh washer from Moyer may be a good move. Some of us are still waiting for our mechanical fuel pumps to leak, either into the crankcase or at the sediment bowl seal, which we are told are common occurrences. It has been 2500 hours and 20 years for me. I have yet to rebuild the pump. I firmly believe that using MMO in non-ethanol gas helps prevent the diaphragm and seals from degrading, and the inside of the bowl from corroding. Stainless steel bowls are sold by Moyer. Mechanical pumps require no wiring, fuses, or oil pressure safety switches that need to be bypassed to prime the fuel line. Priming is done by hand with the bail under the pump. I have read on this forum that mechanical pumps have better suction and can handle small air leaks in the fuel line connections; electric pumps have a harder time moving air, so an airlock in the fuel line can develop, and any air leaks in the line will also leak gas. Which is not good. So you may want to hold off on the 'upgrade' to electric. The bowl and screen are probably not needed as long as the filters are doing their job, but I have seen stuff in the bowl that got past the filters, and didn't get into the carb jets. It seems to me that the biggest advantage to an electric fuel pump is it's easier to replace.