Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Maintenance (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Packing Nut Wench? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11008)

JOHN COOKSON 03-12-2019 01:51 AM

Packing Nut Wench?

The packing nut will not loosen even with repeted applications of penetrating oil followed by tapping. If I keep going after it the way I have been doing - with pipe wrenches - I'm going to round the brass.
Has anyone used the adjustable packing nut wrench from West Marine? It looks to be the best one of the lot. Any comments good or bad? The handle looks sort of short. Maybe it needs a piece of pipe on it. Also can the same wrench be used to loosen the lock nut?

TRUE GRIT

rickinnj 03-12-2019 06:40 AM

I use the adjustable slip nut wrench like the one at WM. But I got mine at the local Big Box store in the plumbing section for less money. Get two. One to hold the packing gland stationary and one to turn the follower. Make sure the lock nut is backed off.

roadnsky 03-12-2019 01:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As Rick said, the Lock Nut has to be loosened first.
Are you using 2 wrenches?

Since you're a Catalina guy, maybe look at these...

joe_db 03-12-2019 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Packing nut wench:

JOHN COOKSON 03-12-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_db (Post 116012)
Packing nut wench:

I noticed that after I posted. Can tell where my mind is at.

TRUE GRIT

romantic comedy 03-12-2019 09:17 PM

I have used that cheap packing nut wrench.

It was useless and I threw it overboard. I keep well oiled Stilson wrenches aboard. I also have a large channel lock pliers and a large adjustable.

If you are putting that much force that you will round the nut then that wrench would not work.

Always use two wrenches.You dont want to torque the packing hose.

toddster 03-14-2019 03:30 PM

Hmm... a stuffing box in a spacious, well-lighted area? Fake news!

One problem is that my wrenches with jaws that open wide enough are too long to fit in the available space. Should have done a practical test before putting them on board. (Similar to the jack I carried for years that wasn't tall enough to do the truck...)

lat 64 03-15-2019 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Criminey, that's just a stupid sink wrench!
Get it at Lowes.

JOHN COOKSON 03-16-2019 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lat 64 (Post 116031)
Criminey, that's just a stupid sink wrench!
Get it at Lowes.

This exact one is on order from home depot.
Has anyone had any luck getting the lock nut loose using one of these? If I can get the lock nut loose then I can tighten the packing nut a tad and get the excess drip stopped.

TRUE GRIT

msmith10 03-16-2019 09:45 AM

I've never had any luck using those adjustable sink wrenches on ANYTHING. The jaws won't stay fixed in position long enough to get them on the nuts and the whole apparatus is so big and clumsy you can't get it in anywhere.
I made my own stuffing box wrenches out of 3/16 steel using nothing but an angle grinder and they've worked well for 20 years.
Alternatively, get a couple of monkey wrenches at a flea market. You can grind down the jaws if they're too big.

Easy Rider 03-17-2019 08:57 PM

Two small monkey wrenches always worked for me and I had a tight spot to work on. Just be careful on the thinner nut. Those sink wrenches were never meant for the kind of pressure you might need to break free a packing nut. Just my thoughts.

Chris75 03-21-2019 12:53 PM

Packing nut

I find it eaiser to loosen the packing nut, not the jam nut. 1/4 turn loosen then the jam nut spins easy, tighten the packing nut then the jam nut....I use a pipe wrench and water pump pliers.