Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Irwin (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   head removal oh boy! (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9363)

Mermaidquest 11-21-2015 01:55 PM

head removal oh boy!

Is it at all possible to remove the head WITHOUT removing the studs? I have been at the Blaster,TAP, Tap, TAP, Blaster, Tap, Tap,etc. thing for 2 days now and wonder if it has ever been done? I intend to begin the process of utilizing the New stud remover I now own. However it looks to me that it will gouge into the threads of the studs as it is tighten into them. Is there a special stud remover that is designed specifically for 3/8in fine thread studs? Tomorrow is the big day, care to weigh-in on how many break? The engine was rebuilt at Moyer in 2008.

edwardc 11-21-2015 02:21 PM

I have done it twice, both times with the studs in.
Once the head is broken free of the gaskets, it's very important to keep it almost level as you remove it. If one side gets too much higher than the other, it will bind on the studs and will not budge. If this happens, you have to determine which is the high side, and tap it back down to unbind the studs.

Al Schober 11-21-2015 04:00 PM

Yes, there is a stud remover that doesn't damage the threads. It's made by the folks at Snap-on, and is CG500. Comes with collets for 3/8-24, 7/16-20, and 1/2-20. Works like a charm, but a new one carries a hefty price tag. I bought one a while ago, so the pain of the high price has faded. Perhaps you can find one on eBay?
The studs in your hand are not keeping the head from coming off. Of course, if the stud is frozen in the head, the remover has the capability of twisting it off. But then you know and can drill it out.

Mermaidquest 11-21-2015 05:22 PM

Hope!

Thanks for the Light in the tunnel !Let the fun begin ! Chisel time in the AM.

sail_flathead_lake 11-21-2015 11:24 PM

I just went through this two weeks ago - left the studs in and went at it tapping gently with a dull scraper from the front of the motor (motor was still in the boat so no access to the back). It took a while, but the head came off eventually without having to pull the studs.

Mermaidquest 11-22-2015 11:29 AM

How sweet it is !

It was the greatest waste of anxiety ever! The head gave up without any real battle at all. I believe that the days of tap, tap, tap and lots of Blaster truly paid off. I put the nuts back on the studs till the studs were even with the tops of the nuts and constantly tapped at them until they all sprayed Blaster back out from around the holes in the head. There is a distinct dull change in the pitch in the taps when the studs are free of the head.then the prying from the front and rear with wood chisels was successful.This 1971 Irwin 32 has good space around the engine and so this has been accomplished on the boat.The real Fun seems to be getting all the old gasket material from the surfaces.But that is nearly behind me Now! Many Thanks and Praises for the Encouragement to all!