Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Search Forums

Showing results 1 to 25 of 361
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts Made By: GregH
Forum: Electrical 03-26-2024, 03:14 PM
Replies: 9
Views: 4,149
Posted By hanleyclifford
Regarding your two pictures the following. That...

Regarding your two pictures the following. That terminal block is a lot of unnecessary connections some of which could be introducing resistance. Neil has always advocated keeping connections to a...
Forum: Electrical 03-26-2024, 12:54 AM
Replies: 7
Views: 273
Posted By ndutton
My take is it is not technically internally...

My take is it is not technically internally regulated but rather its integral regulator is piggybacked externally like the Motorola alternators. On the Motorolas the regulator also serves as a...
Forum: Electrical 03-25-2024, 09:00 PM
Views: 273
Posted By hanleyclifford
I went looking for an answer too but nobody wants...

I went looking for an answer too but nobody wants to state that it is internally regulated. Most alternators for sale these days are internally regulated and the industry has got most folks...
Forum: Announcements 02-22-2024, 04:55 PM
Replies: 2
Views: 180
Posted By B Moyer
Forum update reply

All,
This may be the only noitce we will be able to give you. However, be assured if we get advanced notice we will do our best to notify the forum too.
Forum: Announcements 02-22-2024, 01:02 PM
Replies: 2
Views: 180
Posted By B Moyer
ATTENTION - ATTENTION - ATTENTION

Hello Afourians!

Please note that we will be doing an update to our forum sometime in early March. The update will cause the forum to be unavailable for at least 1 week, perhaps longer as we...
Forum: General Maintenance 01-27-2024, 12:09 PM
Replies: 5
Views: 452
Posted By Al Schober
Another tip: Don't rely on that pivot bolt to...

Another tip: Don't rely on that pivot bolt to ground the alternator to the engine. Run a separate wire from the alternator case to the engine block (or your ground block).
Forum: Electrical 01-22-2024, 07:42 AM
Replies: 12
Views: 587
Posted By joe_db
I have measured the cranking amps of my engine at...

I have measured the cranking amps of my engine at about 130. I do not currently have the starter fused, but if I did I would probably use a 200 amp fuse.
4 gauge IMHO is light for the starter wire,...
Forum: General Maintenance 01-08-2024, 09:26 PM
Replies: 18
Views: 794
Posted By hanleyclifford
Yes, and those studs should be checked for loss...

Yes, and those studs should be checked for loss of material / thread. 4 threads minimum should remain, and I always set the stud with thick Permatex.
Forum: Electrical 01-05-2024, 01:28 PM
Replies: 6
Views: 1,248
Posted By ndutton
Look to Moyer Marine. The kit has the proper...

Look to Moyer Marine. The kit has the proper wires, colors, lengths, terminals and step by step instructions. No running around, no "trip of shame" back to the local suppliers multiple times for...
Forum: General Interest 01-03-2024, 10:43 PM
Views: 997
Posted By sastanley
Happy New Year. I am lucky..there are 10-ish...

Happy New Year. I am lucky..there are 10-ish piers at my marina. I happen to have a pier with a frost free by the bulkhead, and our pier only has 6 slips. there are only two boats left for winter. me...
Forum: General Interest 12-24-2023, 03:06 PM
Replies: 1
Views: 635
Posted By hanleyclifford
And thanks to Moyer Marine for saving the Atomic...

And thanks to Moyer Marine for saving the Atomic 4 from oblivion and supporting us throughout the years.
Forum: General Interest 12-24-2023, 01:49 PM
Views: 635
Posted By B Moyer
Blessings and Gratitude

A huge heartfelt thank you to all who give of themselves helping all members of our Forum throughout the years. 2023 has been a year filled with excitement and changes and we feel blessed to have so...
Forum: General Interest 12-17-2023, 01:14 PM
Replies: 4
Views: 631
Posted By Bayou Sailor
KISS

I just wanted to drop a quick note about keeping it simple. Down here in south Louisiana, we pretty much sail all year. Well, this summer Margarita started and ran about as good as you could ask...
Forum: Fuel System 12-03-2023, 10:08 AM
Views: 4,965
Posted By Dave Neptune
Good thoughts. I do not recommend ever using tape...

Good thoughts. I do not recommend ever using tape on fuel fittings as bits can get into and clog various orifices in the carb. When applying the paste or sealant try to get as little as possible on...
Forum: Ignition System 12-01-2023, 10:39 PM
Replies: 0
Views: 4,835
Posted By ndutton
Pertronix Electronic Ignition

Pertronix, the manufacturer of the electronic ignition (EI) offered in the MMI catalog has really stepped up their game over the past decade or more regarding issues and troubleshooting. Check out...
Forum: Troubleshooting 11-30-2023, 04:17 PM
Replies: 12
Views: 5,468
Posted By Dave Neptune
While you have been troubleshooting have you...

While you have been troubleshooting have you perhaps left the key on? Leaving the key on can absolutely fry any coil. I post this as advise since it so often happens when troubleshooting. It often...
Forum: Cooling System 11-26-2023, 04:28 PM
Replies: 5
Views: 4,288
Posted By Al Schober
Personally, I used brass (local hardware store)...

Personally, I used brass (local hardware store) for 30+ years without issue. Bronze or stainless would be better but difficult to source. First try would be McMaster.
Another consideration (while...
Forum: Electrical 11-19-2023, 12:20 PM
Views: 4,149
Posted By ndutton
Here is my Cliff Notes version of general...

Here is my Cliff Notes version of general considerations posted 10 years ago:

https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=69785&postcount=16 and repeated here

(In direct response to...
Forum: Cooling System 11-10-2023, 03:53 PM
Replies: 14
Views: 2,882
Posted By hanleyclifford
I was one of those who ran no thermostat for...

I was one of those who ran no thermostat for years but used a T valve bypass set up. It worked but I was always adjusting the thing and I finally succumbed to the Indigo remote unit. Since then the...
Forum: General Interest 10-25-2023, 06:34 AM
Replies: 3
Views: 885
Posted By Mo
Wave Rover Circumnavigation.

Good Day Folks, especially you guys in the Chessapeake

I've followed Alan Mulholland on Wave Rover on You Tube for a few years now. He crossed the Atlantic on a Contessa 26, sailed it back to the...
Forum: Ignition System 10-24-2023, 09:58 AM
Views: 518
Posted By joe_db
Sparks in the dark

My engine was running a bit rough and backfiring occasionally. Instead of diving into things right away, I used an old trick and waited until dark and ran the engine with all the lights off.
Sure...
Forum: Fuel System 10-23-2023, 11:09 AM
Replies: 14
Views: 1,850
Posted By mhinnc
If a fuel flow meter shows low but otherwise all...

If a fuel flow meter shows low but otherwise all else looks normal, you may want to check for a restricted flow at the fuel cut off valve (if one exists) at the tank.

I was having the stalling...
Forum: Fuel System 10-16-2023, 05:07 PM
Replies: 3
Views: 605
Posted By Dave Neptune
It is good advise to use the Permatex on the...

It is good advise to use the Permatex on the tapered pipe fittings in a fuel system. However do no use any on the flare fittings, no tape no sealant nothing, they are assembled dry and compression of...
Forum: Electrical 10-12-2023, 03:55 PM
Views: 973
Posted By msmith10
Like Greg, I use them for small gauge wiring like...

Like Greg, I use them for small gauge wiring like instruments, etc. You can buy a crimping tool that compresses them radially very nicely, and you can buy small terminal blocks with compression...
Forum: Electrical 10-11-2023, 02:27 PM
Replies: 39
Views: 3,813
Posted By edwardc
Yes, I'm all better. Just a lingering bit of...

Yes, I'm all better. Just a lingering bit of sinus congestion and still an occasional cough to clear out the residual gunk in my lungs.

My initial plans did not include engine starting with the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 361