Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Search Forums

Showing results 1 to 25 of 223
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts Made By: thatch
Forum: Ignition System 03-16-2024, 01:29 PM
Replies: 11
Views: 627
Posted By Dave Neptune
The gear should turn freely in one direction and...

The gear should turn freely in one direction and not the other as it rotates on the shaft. Not sure as to what type you have of the 2 most common.

A "Bendix" style uses a twisting groove (thread)...
Forum: General Maintenance 03-11-2024, 04:19 PM
Replies: 4
Views: 252
Posted By sastanley
Did the ball pop out of the block with the...

Did the ball pop out of the block with the spring? Sometimes you have to turn the engine over for it to ploop out.
edit - sorry maybe I should provide more detail. The oil pressure style in your...
Forum: Cooling System 03-04-2024, 08:07 PM
Views: 403
Posted By Dave Neptune
First I would wire brush it a bit to confirm if...

First I would wire brush it a bit to confirm if it is braised with brass or soldered. It does look like brass and if it is most any radiator or automotive welding shop should be able to braise it...
Forum: General Interest 02-28-2024, 09:15 AM
Replies: 16
Views: 319
Posted By Dave Neptune
Any type of centrifugal pump will allow a system...

Any type of centrifugal pump will allow a system like Shawn's to work as it is the same as millions of automobile engines. Getting the engine "burped" just means you need to have the fill point at a...
Forum: General Interest 02-27-2024, 10:26 PM
Replies: 16
Views: 319
Posted By sastanley
eliminating the bypass on FWC

So, one of the things I did on my A4 was eliminate the bypass when I went to FWC.
For context, my electric circulation pump for the antifreeze had a 3/4" hose output, so I upsized the hole in the...
Forum: Troubleshooting 02-26-2024, 11:30 AM
Replies: 25
Views: 632
Posted By joe_db
Try this: Undo the clamp that holds the cable...

Try this:
Undo the clamp that holds the cable at the engine end. Undo the cable from the shift lever and clamp at the other end.
Now it is free to move, the entire cable will get dragged back and...
Forum: Electrical 02-23-2024, 10:27 AM
Replies: 2
Views: 183
Posted By ndutton
After several years of experience with mine, an...

After several years of experience with mine, an unexpected benefit was it alerted me to belt wear. I replaced the belt and the squeal stopped instantly. In the pre-tensioner days I could have...
Forum: Introductions 12-28-2023, 11:25 AM
Replies: 25
Views: 2,444
Posted By Dave Neptune
As Hanley stated it is not a good idea to combine...

As Hanley stated it is not a good idea to combine the engine intake with ANYTHING else. The engine could easily have sucked in anything that went into and down the cockpit drains especially hair. I...
Forum: General Interest 12-24-2023, 01:49 PM
Replies: 1
Views: 635
Posted By B Moyer
Blessings and Gratitude

A huge heartfelt thank you to all who give of themselves helping all members of our Forum throughout the years. 2023 has been a year filled with excitement and changes and we feel blessed to have so...
Forum: Troubleshooting 12-02-2023, 08:14 PM
Replies: 28
Views: 7,236
Posted By ndutton
Hold on a minute. Before you go attacking the...

Hold on a minute. Before you go attacking the thru-hull valve please do this simple test first:

Close the valve
Remove the hose attached to the valve
Open the valve briefly to observe flow -...
Forum: Cooling System 11-26-2023, 04:28 PM
Replies: 5
Views: 4,289
Posted By Al Schober
Personally, I used brass (local hardware store)...

Personally, I used brass (local hardware store) for 30+ years without issue. Bronze or stainless would be better but difficult to source. First try would be McMaster.
Another consideration (while...
Forum: Electrical 11-19-2023, 12:20 PM
Replies: 9
Views: 4,157
Posted By ndutton
Here is my Cliff Notes version of general...

Here is my Cliff Notes version of general considerations posted 10 years ago:

https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=69785&postcount=16 and repeated here

(In direct response to...
Forum: Electrical 11-19-2023, 11:53 AM
Views: 4,157
Posted By Dave Neptune
Great idea!! The "trailer plug" is the subject of...

Great idea!! The "trailer plug" is the subject of many electrical trouble shooting threads and problems on this site. Another is to get away from the ammeter and go to a volt meter in the cockpit as...
Forum: Cooling System 11-16-2023, 08:29 AM
Replies: 7
Views: 5,714
Posted By ndutton
Cooling system reminder

If you were ever considering FWC, please keep in mind your RWC engine is slowly rusting to death every day, every month, every year. The only way to arrest this deterioration is with anti-freeze...
Forum: General Maintenance 11-09-2023, 09:58 AM
Views: 1,144
Posted By sastanley
kevinstone, There are a couple ways to do this....

kevinstone,
There are a couple ways to do this. If you have access to the flywheel, the roll pin is vertical at TDC. Another way is to stick something in the #1 spark plug hole and note when the...
Forum: Troubleshooting 11-06-2023, 07:51 PM
Replies: 17
Views: 1,785
Posted By hanleyclifford
I think it is unlikely you will be able to adapt...

I think it is unlikely you will be able to adapt that 2:1 reduction drive to anything without significant machine shop re engineering of the unit including the design and fabrication of an adapter...
Forum: General Interest 11-06-2023, 01:26 PM
Replies: 27
Views: 4,373
Posted By Dave Neptune
Joe, I think any way you do it will require some...

Joe, I think any way you do it will require some cobbling. I don't think a true "CRANK DRIVEN" set up would give you the required RPM's for good charging and cooling of the alt. Perhaps using the...
Forum: General Interest 10-24-2023, 04:15 PM
Replies: 11
Views: 1,368
Posted By ndutton
Change to electric drive

I just read a post on one of the Catalina 30 forums about an electric drive conversion. Owner installed (no labor), $26K.
Forum: Ignition System 10-24-2023, 09:58 AM
Views: 527
Posted By joe_db
Sparks in the dark

My engine was running a bit rough and backfiring occasionally. Instead of diving into things right away, I used an old trick and waited until dark and ran the engine with all the lights off.
Sure...
Forum: Troubleshooting 10-09-2023, 08:39 AM
Replies: 13
Views: 1,179
Posted By Dave Neptune
Perhaps some sense. Was a compression check done?...

Perhaps some sense. Was a compression check done? Sooty plugs indicate a rich mixture, oily plugs indicate poor rings. The missing could be a carb adjustment or even a weak spark. How long since a...
Forum: Troubleshooting 10-07-2023, 10:37 AM
Posted By Dave Neptune
The piston probably got stuck in the bore when it...

The piston probably got stuck in the bore when it overheated then breaking off the top, not real uncommon as far as catastrophic failure is concerned. Then the hammering allowed to top to fall into...
Forum: Troubleshooting 10-07-2023, 09:17 AM
Posted By Dave Neptune
First welcome to the MMI Forum albeit a probably...

First welcome to the MMI Forum albeit a probably sad one.

I am going to guess the piece of metal is from a hole in the pan which explains the massive oil leakage.

As far as the "cap" looking...
Forum: Cooling System 10-03-2023, 06:25 AM
Replies: 13
Views: 1,389
Posted By joe_db
I too cannot point to one problem from running...

I too cannot point to one problem from running cool. BTW, you all might want to think about an oil temperature gauge. Last time I put my FLIR camera on the oil filter it was hotter than the coolant....
Forum: Ignition System 09-13-2023, 10:23 AM
Views: 1,148
Posted By sastanley
Lightbulb advance plate :-)

I will chime in here with one more thing since this happened to me:

Even though maintenance is greatly reduced using EI over points..when you DO open up the cap/rotor, don't forget to lubricate...
Forum: Drive Train / Propellers 09-11-2023, 07:38 PM
Views: 1,257
Posted By Dave Neptune
Your description is a bit vague and it seems to...

Your description is a bit vague and it seems to point to fuel. It takes very little fuel to "rev" the engine in neutral. However in gear it requires a bit more. In reverse there is a 30% reduction so...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 223