Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > ndutton

Conversation Between ndutton and tomsailmaker
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. ndutton
    06-27-2015 01:14 AM
    ndutton
    Well, there are a couple of things going on. Most importantly my elderly mother needs round the clock care as of the past two months. My sis and I are trading off but it's taking a toll. Mom has stage 4 cancer in her brain, lungs and stomach, can no longer walk, prepare meals, etc. On top of that my step-dad, her husband of 45 years passed only two months ago. It's 'that time' in our family.

The other thing is I felt my contributions to the forum had run their course. It seemed all I was doing anymore was arguing in favor of proven laws of physics that should not have ever been questioned in the first place. It was not good for the forum no matter how you look at it so I simply stepped back.

I'm all for participating in a stimulating high quality forum but if it degenerates into just another board of dock experts, no thanks. I expressed my concerns to the forum administration a couple of months ago.
  2. tomsailmaker
    06-25-2015 10:25 PM
    tomsailmaker
    Neil I hadn't been on the Moyer site for some time as I was moving my boat down to New Port and now I haven't seen you post for some time. I hope all is well with you and that you come back and join the site soon
    I really miss your expertise and knowledge that you offer to the rest of us users. I am hoping you are just taking a vacation or some such thing. Please let me know whats going on, I miss you!.
  3. ndutton
    02-04-2014 07:53 PM
    ndutton
    Looks like I'll be at my boat tomorrow (Wednesday) around noon, will probably leave by 4:00 P.M.
  4. tomsailmaker
    02-02-2014 11:51 PM
    tomsailmaker
    Neil Thanks for the info and measurements,should fit into the smaller instrument control panel nicely. I had been thinking of making a back cover to protect the gauges any way. I had such good luck with my recessed, choke cable I thought why not. Still need to mount it- a little MACHO putty,cabo and polyester resin, and shoot it with jell coat that will cover a few holes.
    I sent my E mail and got to thinking that calling the Early Warning Device, IDIOT LIGHTS might be offensive and I sure didn't mean it that way. I will take any warning / pre- warning I can get. I am going to try and get up that way Tues and Wed Or Wed and Thurs and I will try and swing by in my dink . if your there that would be great but I cant count on my being there. I do look forward to meeting you
    Went by Crystliner the other day and they have sold out and changed the name. Dont know if there still building boats / they do sell resin and glass still. Costa Mesa is no longer the Fiberglass capital of world
  5. tomsailmaker
    02-02-2014 03:24 PM
    tomsailmaker
    Neil The new IDIOT LIGHT panel looks great and what a real good idea. I am working up my 2 new "control panels" for my instruments and wonder what the size of the light bar is and how deep the panel sticks out {depth with wire). I am thinking of putting it in the smaller control panel 7.5wide x 7.0high. The depth is the real-problem as it will stick out into the lazerett locker and blocks access. You and Don have come up with something we should all have GOOD JOB
    THANKS
  6. ndutton
    05-23-2013 04:47 PM
    ndutton
    It's a matter of safety Tom. The battery switch is your first line of defense in shutting off shipboard power if necessary.

Imagine the conditions you might want all power off. I had such an episode, my carburetor float valve let fuel pass through overflowing the bowl and spilling fuel into the bilge for about 24 hours. Walking down the dock I could smell gasoline fumes and once next to my boat there was no question where they were coming from. The first thing I did was shut off the shore power at the dock box. The second thing was to turn off the battery switch.

The point here is I needed the power off and that meant all of it, not most of it except for one or two circuits that may have turned on automatically and the only way to insure they were off would be to disconnect their wires at the battery, also risking a small spark if there was load on those circuits. See what I mean?

That's the reason battery switches are required to meet UL 1500 for ignition proof.
  7. tomsailmaker
    05-23-2013 03:18 PM
    tomsailmaker
    Neil Hi I was looking at the blog about warm regulators and noticed your answer about battery switches and that you leave one battery on. I was looking at your wiring drawing this AM and was wondering about the bilge pump / gas sniffer and why you didn't hard wire them direct to the battery. I love your answers and always read your reply to questions,always good correct (far as I know) information. I have a thousand questions that I am sure you can answer but this is not the time as I gotta walk the dogs then go finish cutting some teak fair-leads to run the jib halyards back to the cockpit did you see that Mac Gregor has stopped production, WOW. If you get to my neighbor hood (dock) stop buy, I am at the Cabrillo Way Marina out Miner on Tier M number 08. An Ericson 32 white with a dark blue boot and WL stripe the 4th slip off the bulkhead or if you stop buy the Doyle sails loft at Minney;s swap-meet on the 5th? may be we will can hook up I look forward to meeting you.